playdoh12

Xp Install Loop

Ok. I have a computer with a DFI Lanparty nf4 Sli motherboard, an AMD Athlon 64 3000, 2 sticks of 256mb ram, a 40gb IDE hard drive, IDE cd drive and an ATI X300 that i am trying to install windows XP on. I built this computer about a year ago and it ran fine. When i built it the first time i put in a 80gb Seagate sata hard drive. A couple months ago i took that hard drive out for use in another computer. Today i decided i wanted to use the computer and installed the 40gb IDE drive. Then i tryed to install XP. XP wont install. It boots, goes to the first part of the xp instillation and completes it like it normally does. Then it finished the first part and goes to the screen where it says rebooting in 15 seconds to complete next step. It reboots but goes back to the first step. It will do this step then repeat. It will not go to the next step. I am not sure what the problem is. I need help. thanks

after rebooting the first time, enter the bios and select to start from the hd 1st?

i already have tried that and it just wouldnt do anything

I've had similar (but gave specific error about not finding a specific file) and it was a problem with the drive not reading the cd properly. It could also be a scratched or bad cd.

Not exactly the same problem but trying another cd drive is worth a shot.

I've had similar (but gave specific error about not finding a specific file) and it was a problem with the drive not reading the cd properly. It could also be a scratched or bad cd.

Not exactly the same problem but trying another cd drive is worth a shot.

I've had that same thing happen to me that Syngensmyth mentioned. Swap cables, try another optical drive, test the HDD. Could be any one of those things, hard to say without any error to point you a direction.

On a side note, not that it pertains to your issue really but might be worth mentioning. If you get errors copying needed files before the first restart in the install process this is usually a cable, bad CD or it can be bad memory. I pulled my hair out for an hour one day before I thought to test memory ;)

I've had that same thing happen to me that Syngensmyth mentioned. Swap cables, try another optical drive, test the HDD. Could be any one of those things, hard to say without any error to point you a direction.

On a side note, not that it pertains to your issue really but might be worth mentioning. If you get errors copying needed files before the first restart in the install process this is usually a cable, bad CD or it can be bad memory. I pulled my hair out for an hour one day before I thought to test memory ;)

I wish I could find it. The list of things tried is the long one. I get to XP install "starting windows" and blue screen. Mostly any driver mention is meaningless and varied or none but the 0x0 blah blah.

Mem tested ad nausium

2 different CPU's

2 different Video Cards

2 different IDE CD Drives

3 different XP CD's

2 different IDE cables

2 different IDE headers

5 BIOS Flashes

swapped, turned off/on, different SATA drives and cables

unplugged floppy, USB, Firewire (she is bare bones)

Turned off on board sound

Only thing left is PSU (on order)

(just thought ... have not tried different keyboard and mouse ...

I wish I could find it. The list of things tried is the long one. I get to XP install "starting windows" and blue screen. Mostly any driver mention is meaningless and varied or none but the 0x0 blah blah.

Mem tested ad nausium

2 different CPU's

2 different Video Cards

2 different IDE CD Drives

3 different XP CD's

2 different IDE cables

2 different IDE headers

5 BIOS Flashes

swapped, turned off/on, different SATA drives and cables

unplugged floppy, USB, Firewire (she is bare bones)

Turned off on board sound

Only thing left is PSU (on order)

(just thought ... have not tried different keyboard and mouse ...

:blink:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong here, but don't you have to hit the "any" key to boot from the CD? So after it installs the setup files and reboots, if it asks you to press the "any" key to boot from CD, don't press anything and let it go on and boot from the files it copied before it restarted.

When XP goes through it's install routine, after loading into memory (or where ever) all the drivers, we reach a point that Windows install says "starting windows." You should next see a windows like interface. We never see that pretty windows interface. We see a Blue Screen Of Death.

The whole boot from CD situation has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Syngensmyth

Well I had that happen once when I had a new build.... turned out both optical drives we jumped to Master. I changed the second drive to slave and it all worked. Took me two hours to figures it out though :lol:

not sure if its syngensmyth, playdoh12, or both that has this problem, but any way...have you tried running any diagnostic tools on the hdd? Complete surface scan? Are you using a regular xp install disk that can be used to install xp on a new system (or something else like an nlited version, or possibly a recovery type cd)? Has this particular disk(s) ever succeeded in an installation?

edit: just noticed sygen said 3 xp disks. I guess if the hdd passes some complete diagnostic testing, I'm stumped.

Edited by Fight Game