gtrdude485

New Video Card To Replace 6800gt

I know I've opened a few threads regarding a new video card in the past but I still haven't bought one. SO I've been looking at this BFG G92 which I think is a good price for what I'm getting. I was previously looking at the standard 8800gt EVGA or MSI. I'm a big fan of EVGA but as far as the G92s go I think the $30 difference between EVGA and BFG is worth getting the BFG.

I will say that I will be spending about $400+ on a new monitor around Christmas time; prolly a 24+" and I would like to run at as close to max resolution as possible. I mostly play RPG games; a FPS here and there. Any suggestions for the under 200 (after rebate) range?

That's a good card but i have a feeling the rest of your system is going to be a severe bottleneck for it so instead of a moniter you might want to get a system that will be able to drive it at decent resolutions first.

I tend to agree with Jenova. Upgrading to a more modern video card, while great, will still be severely limited by the rest of your system.

I would definitely not spend 400 dollars on a nice monitor until you have the system to back it up.

Some ideas on a system:

- You can get a good Intel Duo2 CPU (maybe the 6600) for a good price.

- You want at least 2 gigs of RAM, 4 preferably.

- Obviously a compatible Mobo

Anyways, you can get all of that for about 4 bucks. Your HDs should be useable still. Upgrade your system and THEN put the 8800GT in it. Newegg has a great deal today with EVGA 8800GT for like 140 or 150 or so, cant remember exactly.

lol... it's not like he's running a Pentium 2... a 165 on a DFI NF4 can still be a decent gaming rig...

but 24+ inch is usually 1920x1200 territory for monitors... you might start to struggle at that high of a resolution...

I'm guessing by your FSB, you are running the 165 @ 2340 MHz? You might be able to milk some more speed out of your CPU...

whatever you do, an 8800GT or similar performance card like a HD4850 will be a MASSIVE improvement in 3D performance

I tend to agree with Jenova. Upgrading to a more modern video card, while great, will still be severely limited by the rest of your system.

I would definitely not spend 400 dollars on a nice monitor until you have the system to back it up.

Some ideas on a system:

- You can get a good Intel Duo2 CPU (maybe the 6600) for a good price.

- You want at least 2 gigs of RAM, 4 preferably.

- Obviously a compatible Mobo

Anyways, you can get all of that for about 4 bucks. Your HDs should be useable still. Upgrade your system and THEN put the 8800GT in it. Newegg has a great deal today with EVGA 8800GT for like 140 or 150 or so, cant remember exactly.

I wouldn't say *severely* limited...a dual core Opty at 2.x GHz isn't exactly a slouch.

Anyway, my upgrade for $520 was the following:

Tuniq Tower

Q6600 Retail

DFI Blood-Iron

8 GB Wintec AmpX

It certainly woke up my 2900XT. :D

Noted; however, my buddy just bought a new dell with onboard video and wants to buy my card so I need a new one. Sorry for the lack of info. I will be upgrading my system when I can afford it, probably before I buy the new monitor. I just want something that will carry its weight through the new system and on for a cpl years at least

than grab a 8800gt, i saw them on newegg for $80 with rebate. cheapest and best bet. you are using PCIe right?

than grab a 8800gt, i saw them on newegg for $80 with rebate. cheapest and best bet. you are using PCIe right?

8800GT for $80?

If you meant $180, the 4850 is a better buy. And yes, the NF4 Ultra-D is a PCI-E board.

My picks for Single Slot GPUs

$ - 8800GT ($140 or less)

$$ - 4850 ($190 avg)

$$$ - 4870 ($285 max)

$$$$ - 9800GX2 ($400 max)

Prices in CDN, btw.

I frankly don't think there are any other cards worth buying ATM. In the cheaper categories, the 8800GT is just the absolute king of value, but it is handily bested by the 4850 for a marginal $50 increase in price, which would be my overall pick for the sweetspot in price|performance.

The 4870 beats the GTX 260 in the vast majority of cases, and is cheaper to boot. If you're in for the absolute top of the line in performance (and price), the 9800GX2 still edges out the GTX280 in most benches for less dough.

I will say that the BFG GTX 280 just dropped to $425 after MIR here in Canada, making it a reasonable contender to the GX2, and potentially a better long term investment.

You don't have an SLI capable board, but for anyone who does, the GTX280 is really not a bad investment right now, since it will scale much better in SLI than the GX2.

As the prices of the GX2 and 280 continue to drop, it will be interesting to see which leads the pack as new drivers mature, and which ends up being the better value. Though I suspect when the 4870X2 hits the streets, that question will be rather moot :)

Cheers

EDIT: If you did end up with an SLI board, then an 8800GT SLI setup would smash the 4870 in performance, and replace it in the matrix at the same price point. Also, the 9800GTX in SLI is ridiculously fast, and would cost around the same as the GTX280/GX2, handily besting them in performance across the board by a decent margin. The SLI system in my sig was consistently 12-13 FPS ahead of the 280 and at least 4 or 5 ahead of the GX2, with a higher minimum frame rate in Crysis at 1920x1200VH.

Edited by politbureau

no $80 just over the weekend, i checked again and their now $120 just wait for another rebate soon.