New Video Card To Replace 6800gt

i guess so, though at the time it thought it was 512 8800GT i still think it would be a great upgrade from an 6800. driving a 22inch monitor won't go over very smooth but unless you're willing to drop 300 it doesnt matter what card you get below $200 it won't run happy at 1920

For $400 I'd go with dual 4850s or wait for the 4870X2.
Great point. That is def the best option for CF mobo owners. FTR, the 9800GTX SLI was faster in Crysis than the 4850s we tested in CF by an average of 8-10 FPS. Not sure if it is drivers, better SLI implementation or what. We stupidly didn't play anything else other than Crysis (we were a bit horny to see the multi GPU goodness), so not sure how that bears out for other games.

OK so what would be my best bet then; an 8800GT? I'm not positive but wouldn't I need a new mobo to do ATI? I don't plan on spending $400 on a video card I was just saying, unless monitor prices drop, $400 is standard for a legit 22+". Again, I play mostly RPG games so I don't need top of the line to make sure my games run smooth and at high res. And YES this will eventually be going into a mid range C2D rig eventually. Just looking for a replacement for my 6800GT that will last me a bit...

Edited by gtrdude485

Your mobo is fine for any single card. :)

The 8800GT 512 MB or the 4850 is your best choice in the sub-$200 price range. Personally I'd go with the 4850.

i think you need a poll going lol. i dont think you need an 4850 unless you have a new rig. mine is already cpu bound, but not by much.

baseline is anything more powerful than a Ati 1900 or nvidia 7900 will be cpu bound and most likely not perform any faster. if this just going to hold you over for a year or so get a cheaper card (8800gt sub $100, or ati 3850 sub $100). if you think this card will be in your next rig and rather not upgrade again drop that extra 100$ and get a 4850 for the future.