Sign in to follow this  
Mike1161

Internet Packet Loss

I recently started having problems with my isp (Comcast). First it appears that when I run trace routes to various ip addresses my route no matter where the site is goes from Chicago to Boston to Chicago and then off to where ever the site is. Even when tracing a Chicago based server the route is still through Boston. This clearly has increased my ping but Comcast say that how the interenet works (BS I say). Then I notice that I have packet losses ranging for 10-50% along the route and that has had an even bigger affect on the quaility of the connection. To make matters even more interesting is that when I run speed tests the results range from 22,000 kbps to 4,000 kbps to the same sites within moments of each other.

Comcast says its me, I say BS since all of my PCs have the same results even when directly connect to the cable modem. This sucks since Comcast has just said there is nothing they can do since it's my equipment that is not working right. What BS.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have heard that Comcrap is horrible in the Chicago area for some reason. Most of the people I know there have switched to another provider for the same reasons you have just said.

I recently started having problems with my isp (Comcast). First it appears that when I run trace routes to various ip addresses my route no matter where the site is goes from Chicago to Boston to Chicago and then off to where ever the site is. Even when tracing a Chicago based server the route is still through Boston. This clearly has increased my ping but Comcast say that how the interenet works (BS I say). Then I notice that I have packet losses ranging for 10-50% along the route and that has had an even bigger affect on the quaility of the connection. To make matters even more interesting is that when I run speed tests the results range from 22,000 kbps to 4,000 kbps to the same sites within moments of each other.

Comcast says its me, I say BS since all of my PCs have the same results even when directly connect to the cable modem. This sucks since Comcast has just said there is nothing they can do since it's my equipment that is not working right. What BS.

Anyone have any ideas?

Call back, cancel your sub, and see if Verizon Fios is in your area.

Yay for fiberchannel

Agreed.

It's not just a CHI area problem. I had similar things start to happen in NJ. They like to try new crap to stop file sharing. Which is stupid.

I LOVE FiOS. Absolutly LOVE it.