Sign in to follow this  
OCrookie

Vista Hardware Drivers

i recently had a power supply failure and after installing new power supply vista cant load the drivers for my cd/dvd drives they are ultra ATA 133 drives anyone know what i can do to get my drives working again ?

Vista has no idea what kind of PSU you're running. If your drives aren't showing up it's possibly they (or something else related) got fried when your old PSU died.

i went into device manager and it said the drivers could not be loaded i swapped out the hard drive for one with xp on it and the drives were recognized and functioned fine so i'm sure its the drivers just not sure why they wont load now i'm assuming the driver files were corrupted when the power supply crapped out because it died during startup just havent been able to figure out how to fix it

...try this

remove the devices via device manager and reboot, Vista just may surprise you and all will be good, it could be as simple as that, if that doesn't work...

try this at the run (command line),

SFC /scannow

have your OS install CD ready, it will want to copy some files and it may just bring you back to life......then, if that doesn't work

the OS is fubared, reinstall or repair install may be your only solution....

laterzzz...............

Edited by bldegle2

uninstalling in device manager did nothing. SFC /scannow didnt help either it said the problem could not be fixed. is there anything else i could try other than reinstalling windows i have files on the same HDD with windows that i cant save due to the problem with the CD drive drivers not working.

if the CD's don't work, then you will have to copy the files over to another HD, then format and reinstall the os...after thinking about the PS failure, it could be several things causing the problem....have you checked to see if you set your CD to first boot device with the OS install CD to see if the drive is recognized at the DOS level? don't worry, it won't fubar your present install, you can abort it.... if so, there is hope, if not, you got problems with your hardware....most of us have a closet full of used parts so troubleshooting is a bit easier for us, if you don't have resources like I described it can be a daunting task to find the problem.....

but

before you do that

please understand that a PS going south can fubar other parts with voltage spikes and/or arcing jolts, doesn't take much to hammer delicate electronics to dust when supplied volts go totally wacko....

see if the CD shows up in DOS, fingers crossed for you. BTW, you could do an 'over install' or 'repair' , you should save anything in your 'my documents' folder as windows overwrites these files with the overinstall....all your other installed proggies will stay.....but you may have to reinstall depending on whether they need registry markers to work...

good luck..

laterzzz.....................

Edited by bldegle2