Hosting Forums

damian

Anyone know what a good site is to host forums (message boards) that are free. like invisionfree.com i would go with them but i dont like that they have such a complicated URL, it would look like this: s6.invisionfree.com/yourboard/ i want something simple so ppl wont be confused. This will be for a quake 3 server. And it has to be free, not trial but free.

Anyone have any recommendations?

it seems like that is my best bet. if i could say do you or anyone else know of one that allows cursing, a bit odd but i would like my users to have freedom of speech lol

but if not i will just use forumup.com

thanks!

I used invision free back in the day biggest thing i liked is the software IPB software is just awesome and pretty easy to work with especially if you buy the whole deal other then use the free version as a lot of the files are zend encoded but if purchased it has a world of options for things you can do with it.

I could offer you hosting through me but it wouldn't be free. :(

Your best bet is probably invision free as far as quality of a free forum software goes. If you don't like their forum addresses for the free version you could buy a domain name and use domain forwarding at a low cost. :)

If you don't like their forum addresses for the free version you could buy a domain name and use domain forwarding at a low cost. :)

Actually I think you can still get dynamic DNS services to your own domain name free through zoneedit. Last I knew the free account was limited to like 5 domains or something, but it was always enough for my one site :)

DynDNS stuff is a little tricky at first but it's not bad. Still, I'd recommend going through a free third party host first like Nerm said, if possible.

Yes, zoneedit still offers up to 5 free dynamic DNS. What I meant by low cost is that if he purchased a domain name to use he would have to pay a yearly domain fee to have his own domain.

Yes, zoneedit still offers up to 5 free dynamic DNS. What I meant by low cost is that if he purchased a domain name to use he would have to pay a yearly domain fee to have his own domain.

Ah, gotcha! :thumbs-up:

Yeah those fees are so low that I ended up paying like 10 years out on a domain I don't even use anymore just in case. So I still think of it as a one time thing even though it's actually yearly :)