Please Help Me With Overclocking My Processor

zheka

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Totally agree with Jenova69, The Xigmatek S1283 is a very good CPU cooler, great price too. I have the freezer pro on my second rig and it does a great job even for a quad core but I don't overclock that rig at all. Out of the two I would definitely go for the Xigmatek S1283. The only bad thing and it is a small thing is the push pins that attach it to the mobo, they can be rather hard to push in so if you do it while the motherboard is out of the case then you can be a lot more careful. Get some "Arctic Silver 5" or "OCZ Freeze" thermal compound, either of those are very good and one tube of either will do you for a very long time. Put a very thin coating on all three of the heat pipes and none on the CPU for the S1283 and for the Arctic if you decide to go that way then put a small blob about half the size of a grain of rice in the center of the CPU and none on the heatsink. Make sure to clean off all the old thermal compound from the CPU with rubbing alcohol before you start and never use the stuff you get with any heatsink, they never give you anything near as good as AS5 or Freeze.

ok guys, heres the stuff i ordered today, and now i'll be waiting for the UPS guy to come over to my door :P

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

This is the worst part, waiting for that big brown truck. lol

That's a very nice list though, Good choice in graphics cards, I have heard excellent things about the 4850. Man, your going to see a huge increase in performance all around when you get it all installed.

Ok when you have put the CPU in the motherboard and clamped it down, you want to clean it with a little rubbing alcohol to be sure you get the best possible contact, also clean the bottom of the heatsink too. You need only about the size of a grain of rice BUT this is for a flat based heatsink not the HDT heatsink that you and I Have, So take the Arctic and spread a very fine coating onto the three heatpipes and the small aluminum separators (only the parts that will contact the CPU). The old way of the blob in the center of the CPU doesn't work for these heat sinks as it all gets stuck in the channels between the heatpipes and doesn't spread correctly. Imagine the grain of rice cut into three, thats how much to use.

ok i installed everything, reformatted my HD.... I have Vista Upgrade which means i have to have Windows XP installed, before installing Vista. So I installed Windows XP, everything wen fine, it loged in, i installed all the drivers for the mtherboard, and for the graphics car. Then i went to install OS Vista, in the begening it was copying files, extracting, and so on, then it needed to restart, and thats when its started to load into OS Vista. And just after that vista scrolling bar (before the login screen) the computer gets BSOD

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The NT Initial Command Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000001 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The System has been shut down.

Have you installed vista while having all 4 sticks of RAM in? This could be the reason try only putting 2 sticks in slots 1 and 3 (same color) and give it another go. I am not a big fan of vista personally I prefer XP, you get more performance with it. If you could take some BIOS screenshots again I could maybe see if something sticks out as your BIOS is very similar to mine.

Also depending on what version of the BIOS you have you might need to hit CTRL + F1 in the main BIOS screen to access the IMT section at the bottom, they removed the need to hit CTRL + F1 in later BIOS versions but it might be defaulting your RAM to 1.8v to allow for compatibility, mine does this too. So you have to go into the MIT (motherboard intelligent tweaker) section and set the right voltage, normal is 1.8v so +0.1, +0.2. +0.3 = 1.9v, 2.0v, 2.1v etc.

I just read a review saying that a person had a lot of blue screens while in XP due to the RAM defaulting tp timings of 5,5,5,15 and when they changed this to 5,5,5,12 they ran with no problems.

So if your in the MIT section and there are no RAM timings to adjust then go back inot the main screen and do the CTRL + F1 and the screen should flicker and when you go back into the MIT more options should be there, its kind of a BIOS lock to prevent people direct access to the voltage settings incase they fry something ya know, but later versions of the BIOS have this prevention measure taken out.

Apparently your RAM is 1.8v from the few reviews I have read so you shouldn't need to adjust the voltage as normal will be 1.8v anyway, although you could raise it to 1.9v (+0.1) after you have tried correcting the timings if that didn't help things.

Edited by Branjo