zheka

Please Help Me With Overclocking My Processor

that exactly what i thought, that i need a new motherboard... now, which on ewould you guys reccomend? i dont want a really expensive though

If you tell us everything you have in your PC it would be a great help recommending a board for you.

wow, they all look in a good price range.. Im not even sure which one to get (if you can help with choosing the best)

now, whats are the RAID and SATA?

RAID 0 is the one most people go for because of its speed, If you put 2 hard drives in RAID 0 then both drives are combined as one ie 2 x 80Gb would be 160gb. they half the information between them.

So for example if you were to read or write a 100mb file then both drives would store 50mb each, there fore they would process the 100mb faster as the 2 drives are working as one. Although there is a higher risk of data loss, if you have the RAID 0 with your windows installation on it then if one drive were to die then you would be left with only have the files, meaning you would lose everything. I actually don't use RAID at all, I have tried it and yes it is faster but its the difference of a few seconds hear and there which in my mind isn't worth the risk, so I wouldn't recommend it this early on.

SATA is just a port to add an extra hard drive, you have 1 hard drive now (Which is an SATA drive) which means you could add another 3 if you wanted.

You also only get 1 IDE slot which can support 2 IDE devices (CD/DVD RW and older hard drives) with a flat ribbon cable, SATA is a thin colored cable which is a lot easier to work with.

Its always good to look ahead and try and give your self a little upgrade room, like if you have a USB - Joystick, Gamepad, Printer, Keyboard or Mouse then you want to make sure you get enough USB 2 ports to cover all that you have so you dont have to remove one device to use another ya know

I have the last Mobo on the list and I still to this day love it. Its 120$ but you get a mail in rebate bringing it down to 100$ which is a great price for a great board ( if your in the US and buy it from newegg.com), I paid 130$ for mine.

The 3rd on the list DS3L is a very popular board and this is actually the one I would recommend you go for, but there is a ton of boards that I haven't mentioned that I really have no experience with.

Another thing I should mention is that if you do buy a new motherboard you will have to install your operating system again as the drivers for the last board will conflict with the new one, and unless you have have a Windows Vista install DVD you would have to buy one of those as well. I am assuming of course that you got some install CD's or DVD's to recover your system in case of a crash or corrupted operating system but this will no longer work if you change the mobo as its only setup to deal with the components that are in your PC now. Its a pain in the butt when you want to change one thing in your system but its so you cant just install Vista on other PC's without paying for it each time. I don't use Windows Vista I use XP so maybe some one here could clarify if its possible to do it or not.

The install of an operating system is quite tricky if you have never done it before, Do you have any one that could help you with installing the new mobo and the operating system? it can be very daunting to do it on your own for the first time as the PC is unusable until the process is finished and if you run into problems you wont be able to get on the net for help.

getting online is not a problem for me, as i have a laptop, and a phone as a backup...

now i was just wondering, whats the difference between the DS3L and DS3R? one is 90 the other is 120 i think

also, how people put sli or crossfire cards when theres only 1 PCI Express x16

SLI will require 2 x PCIe x16 slots like the X38/X48 chipset or an Nvida chipset 680i or 780i, both are quite expensive around $200+ mark I think, Plus a good PSU would be needed if you were to add another 8800 graphics card.

The main difference between the 2 boards is there is 8 x SATA and 10 x USB2.0 ports on the DS3R and only 4 x SATA and 6 x USB2.0 on the DS3L

and the DS3R has a RAID option the DS3L doesn't. In performance they are basically the same, the DS3R just leaves you more options for more upgrades.

Both will take the same kind of CPU's and memory, like the all Core 2 Duo's and Core 2 Quads, both .65nm and .45nm CPU's

Edited by Branjo

ok cool, thank you very much for all the help... i guess im gona buy the DS3L board....

also... how can i tweak my ram to the maximum? (not like adding more of the sticks) but overclocking what i have

Absolutely yes, you can choose tighter timings and overclock them because you will have full control over the voltage to the RAM and the CPU. In the time it takes you to get the new board you should read as much overclocking posts as you can. Comp Dude 2 gave a very good link in his post on the last page that has some very important information which you should use as a good reference.

Once it sinks in you will see how easy it really is, as long as you overclock little by little and get good testing programs like, Prime95, Orthos and OCCT for CPU testing and Memtest for your RAM in a week or two you'll know as much as the rest of us...lol

Good luck zheka