zheka

Please Help Me With Overclocking My Processor

hello guys. I really want to overclock my processor, but i dont know how. I read the reviews on people overclocking the same processor, to over 3MHz in coore clock. My processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, and my motherboard is Intel DQ965GF... i put 2 picture from CPU-Z

post-63279-1215293279_thumb.jpgpost-63279-1215293290_thumb.jpg

Edited by zheka

The most basic way is to bump up your FSB but when your raise the FSB for your CPU it also gets raised for your RAM so you have to counter it by using a "divider" , but with your CPU having a low multiplier of 6 then to hit 3Ghz you would need an FSB of 500 which really takes a good overclocking board (not always but generally) which in turn means you have to raise the voltage to the chipset and the CPU and deal with the RAM dividers and so on. Some store bought PC's have the ability to overclock through the BIOS disabled and you might have to update the BIOS which is really simple but it also has its risks too.

Just Google "C2D overclocking guides" and spend a little time becoming more familiar with the terms of overclocking and how the values are worked out from the base FSB value. It really is quite easy once you know what is called what, but just telling you to do this or that might end up killing your components and I couldn't deal with the guilt lol.

Edited by Branjo

If this is a pre-built your BIOS is probably locked and you probably wont have adequate cooling for such an overclock of 3GHz

If you have a digital camera go into your BIOS and take a few pictures of the screens with anything that deals with "Voltage" or "RAM", that's usually in most cases where the overclocking section is too, and post the pictures here so we can see what your options are.

Sorry man but it doesn't look like its gonna happen with that mobo, I googled it and alot of people are in the same boat as you. I did read that it might be possible to get an 800Mhz CPU running at 1066 but as your CPU is already 1066 your kinda out of options as far as I can see. It might be possible to use a software overclocking program but I have never used anything other than the BIOS so I wouldn't know what to recommend, maybe someone here could point you in the right direction. Its a shame because there is so much left in that processor that your unable to utilize. Even saying that, its not like you have a bad processor, the E6300 is still a very capable CPU and you have a ton of RAM which is always a good thing. I remember buying my first PC from a store and then when I got on the net and saw what others were doing with similar components I was pissed that I didn't build it myself, lesson learned ya know.

If its new then you really don't want to blow your warranty by opening it up and start changing things, its still a good enough system. A good mobo for overclocking can be had for under 100 bucks so its always an option for the future if you decide to upgrade or the warranty period runs out.

Edited by Branjo

Looks like a HP/Compaq prebuilt to me, it has no overclocking controls

I meant, it appears to be a motherboard that HP/Compaq use in their prebuilt computers, the BIOS looks like the typical one you get with a HP/Compaq prebuilt... there are NO overclocking controls at all

So, regardless what the computer looks like physically, the motherboard is a typical OEM motherboard with zero overclocking controls.

The answer is, buy a motherboard with overclocking controls.