Hit The Wall...

jmt54

I've oc'd my q6600 on an xfx 680i mb to 3.1 using RussianHAXOR's guide (Thank you, sir) and it's fine on 4 hrs of prime95 but over about 3.2 and it won't get into windows and dang near didn't get into the bios. Temps are fine and I'm wondering if I might need to nudge up my Northbridge. Core is 1.4, fsb 1.39, memory 1.86, vcore 1.41 vid 1.3125, spp is 1.4.

I'm wondering if I might need to nudge up my Northbridge. Core is 1.4, fsb 1.39, memory 1.86, vcore 1.41 vid 1.3125, spp is 1.4.

I've got mine at +.5 but when I've run with my FSB in the upper realms (over 440 or so), I've gone +.1

Don't be shy of vcore. Most of the posts I've read on this particular forum lead me to believe that a lot of people feel comfortable up to 1.5 (assuming proper cooling) and even beyond with their 6600s. At 3.33 Ghz 8X417, my vcore is around 1.415. I needed 1.565 or a little more when I got to 9X417. My last chip needed 1.5 to get it stable at 3.2 and I never did get it much further than that. Every chip is different, but my point is that you might need a bit more voltage for your chip. What is your vid? And what stepping is your 6600?

I've got the Go stepping. Vid's at 1.3125. Boy, I just tried to up my cpu core to 1.45, my fsb to 1.5, my spp to 1.5 while I unlinked my ram and set it to 800 and bumped up my memory voltage from 1.85 to 2.0, all trying to get above 3.2 GHz. BIG MISTAKE. I would get almost to Windows and Pow, BSOD with a memory dump. Then for a while I couldn't get into the BIOS and thought for sure I was gonna have to pull the battery but I finally got into my settings and fiddled it all back to auto and linked and synced and running right at 3.2. Prime 95 passed for 45 minutes with my temps all at 50 and below but it was a bit of a near thing. Even though I'm on air, it's pretty good air so temps shouldn't be a problem right up to 3.6 (I think...), but I've lost my stones for today. I think my mistake was not playing with the volts one by one at the end, and maybe something to do with trying to overclock with 3x1g sticks of OCZ 6400 pc 800...I've heard it's hard to OC 3x1 or any odd combo...I don't know, I gotta learn ram. I was setting things up based on that IGN OC guide 'stead of sticking with RussianHAXOR's. Oh well, I started today at 2.4 and ended stable at 3.2 so I guess that's not too bad...

don't run 3x1 lol... I tried 4x1 different pairs and after scratching my head for a week or so I pulled the weaker set...

I'd suggest these voltages:

CPU Core: 1.5000 at least (you'll probably need more to reach 3.6 GHz with 1.3125 VID)

CPU FSB: 1.5

Memory: 2.000 (and any other voltage up to 2.2)

SPP: 1.50 (you can try this lower too)

MCP: 1.550

SPP<->MCP: 1.25

I'm redoing my OC now for 3.6 again (CPU: 8x450=3600, RAM: 450, 4-4-4-12-2T) and if I can get my 1.325 VID Q6600 P95 stable at 1.55V I'll be happy lol

Can you explain why 3x1 is bad? Would it be better to use 2 or 4? My set-up sees about 2.5 with the amount of vram I have...Geez, I gotta get to know memory better. And here I was gonna try and tighten the timings a bit from 5 5 5 with maybe a little more voltage. I think I might be missing something obvious to more experienced overclockers about ram Back to the books, I guess.