From Bad To Worse

xly15

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the v/c doesn't work in either PCIe slot, I think you can rule out a motherboard problem. Highly unlikely that both slots are dead. Since your monitor works on another computer (assuming that you did use the same cable from your computer when you tried it on the other), I think you can rule out a monitor or cable problem.

You have all of the power connectors attached, and that Corsair is a very good psu, so I think you can rule out lack of power or a bad power supply.

About the only thing that leaves you is the video card. Do you know anyone else with a PCIe motherboard so you can confirm that your card doesn't work in their rig either?

Guest KrankyOldLady

still the no beeps doesnt sit right with me, if its the card one would think the system would beep right??

still the no beeps doesnt sit right with me, if its the card one would think the system would beep right??

Some mobo's do beep and some don't beep. Unless someone has ever had a dead gfx, i doubt there would be many of us that would know for sure what to expect (other than a blank screen). But KrankyOldLady is right, you really should try another cable.

I finally figured it out. The main atx connector for the motherboard the 24 pin one is missing one pin. Thats why it don't give a screen.

Edited by xly15

24 pin ATX connectors can omit the -5V white....

google: ATX pinout

see if the white is missing, if it is, it doesn't matter because -5V isn't used now

My DFI nF4 wasn't beeping at all when my 7900GS died, I had to rely on the diagnostic LEDs. I even tried a seperate beeper to the one built onto the motherboard and still got no beeps.

As soon as I slotted a friends card in instead the monitor came on as expected, and I was relieved.

Got a replacement 7900GS after a week and this one overclocks even better and hasn't died after 2 months. :)

Nope not under warranty. I took off the stock cooler and flashed the bios. Both of those voided the warranty.

You really should have stated this in the first post.

If you have a second working graphics card, you can boot to DOS with that and the 3850 installed, and possibly flash the card back to stock. The card might at least boot then...