Linked And Synced Or Not?

I'm going to oc my q6600 on an xfx 680i mb. I've got 3 g of ocz 6400 800. I'm shooting for an easy 3.2. I keep reading linked and synced, or not and leave it at 800. Which way would you go?

best case scenario is 1:1 ratio, but if you cant do that, try 3:2 , sync'd has basically always been stable when i have been oc'ing,

but if you drop your ram down enough, just drop your timings alongside if your going to stay with sync'd

1:1 ratio will put your ram basically at the speed of your FSB

if you sync'd it around there it would be okay it would put you around 700mhz (give or take the exact fsb you settle on)

you should check our pwnzors 680i guide, or prolly even the 780i because there isnt much difference

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=61146

and what keeps the pcie from jumping up as I raise the FSB? Should I lock in at 100 as My two 8800 gts are already oc'd? Or when I disable all the PCIe Spread Spectrum does that unlink them. I don't want to blow out my cards...

Yeah, I'm pretty good about what to disable, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess with my cards when I start bumping up the fsb as my cards are pretty maxed out. No worries, then?

nope... the best thing to do is get Linked/Sync'd and Unlinked stable... two different sets of speeds/timings, and then benchmark and compare...

I've found the best results with Linked/Sync'd and haven't really had much success with the RAM over 500 MHz in comparison... do you really have 3GB of RAM? because that's going to be REALLY REALLY hard to OC 500+

I'm running 4x1 right now (mixed models) and it's hard to even OC Linked/Sync'd... so if you're running 3x1 or 2x1+2x512 you're going to have a hard time trying 3:2 ratio

I'd say go for Linked/Sync with tight timings... you might even be able to run CL3 if you have the RAM @ ~356 MHz... or if not, 1T is very possible < 400MHz and you can get very high performance...

anyway, get your CPU OC done first as that counts way more for performance, then figure out what to do with the RAM based on the resulting FSB of the CPU OC :)

OK, I don't get why 3GB of Ram is bad (3x1) OCZ 6400 800 to oc but I guess I'll see...I have trouble with memory for some reason. But linked and synced it is, with voltages set to auto and then backing down to whatever is still stable. I read all the posts but I guess I gotta just jump in...thanks RussianHAXOR and thanks to you fellows who go to the trouble with us new guys. I built this to learn to OC and so far it's a good system. Time to put it to the test.