Vista Crash Dump Analysis

Verran

OK, I'm dual booting Vista Home Premium 64 and XP 32. I've suspected Vista of messing up lately, so I've switched my default boot to XP so if it crashes I'll walk up to an XP desktop and know. Well, I've been finding my PC at that XP desktop quite a bit recently. In fact, just now I booted to Vista and went straight to OCC. I couldn't even get a single post in before a blue screen showed up. "IRQL ..." something, I can't read that fast. I'm not folding or doing anything to stress the machine. It's idle except for FireFox. I'm also at stock settings on the OC just to rule that out. Before today, I had XP up for four days straight without issues during normal usage, so it really doesn't seem like a hardware problem.

So what do I do? Are there any good Vista dump analyzers to try to narrow this down? It was working just fine for over a month even with heavy gaming on my max OC. So what happened?

Rather than just bash Vista (like I'd like to do), I'm looking into this further, but I don't know how to proceed.

Vista gets more errors and is not stable at overclock speed, it is opposite to xp.., Hence this has been a common issue everyone has been facing..,

Well running prime or etc, want make a difference, as it would be definitely be stable in xp, not Vista.

Have you tried installing sp1 ? If u cannot by any chance there 3 updates which sp1 was made for and marked as performance , stability, memory usage, Google it and download it. May be you might be lucky to get vista stable at overclock speeds.

Sometimes you need people to kick you in the head with the obvious answers... :)

It's memory alright :angry2: All four sticks of memory were stable at 400 1:1 2.1v not long ago, but now apparently can't handle stock speeds with no load (still set manually to 2.1v). Both sets throw errors pretty quickly on memtest at 2.1v and even at 2.2 I had multiple errors in under ten minutes. <sigh> I even tested different slots just to be sure it wasn't a particular slot causing problems.

Two sets of memory bad just like that? That seems unlikely, but apparently that's what happened. Maybe I'll try each individual stick tested separately. I might be able to make a good set and just RMA the other. If all four are bad... yeah that just really doesn't seem possible.

Well, yesterday I managed to get multiple errors within ten minutes on memtest. After I got home I ran the test again and it went 14hrs with no errors. OCCT RAM test is getting towards 2hrs now without errors either.

Great. I've got ram that works sometimes now... Suggestions for testing or solutions are welcome :) I'm thinking with the prices the way they are I might just order a 2x2 kit of DDR2-800 and deal with these Ballistix some other day...