Transferring Outlook Contacts...

airman

I know the BEST way to transfer one's contacts in Outlook is to use the export/import method, but I won't be able to do that. Here's why: the operating system of a customer's computer got corrupted and therefore I won't be able to do so.

My question is, the contacts have to be stored somewhere. Generally in the Documents and Settings/User/Application Data or something like that. I've spent some time looking through the filesystem there with no luck or at least nothing obvious.

Does anyone have an idea where I may be able to find them? Or does it look like bad news...

Should be "C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst"

EDIT: The outlook.pst file would have their most recent outlook file so it would have email, tasks, etc as well as contact list.

Semi-bad news ... I'm pretty sure the contacts are stored in the OST file.

You can't simply open an OST file (even if you change the extension to PST...I've tried. lol). What you could try to do is create the email account on the new computer. Then after it's created, close Outlook and overwrite the OST file with the one on the old computer. Then try to open up outlook and pray. In order for it to have any chance of working, you MUST set up the exact same email account.

EDIT: Nerm, the outlook.OST is where there most recent cached info is stored, and that can't simply be opened. PST files are archive files, and by default, contacts won't be in them.

Edited by ClayMeow

Clay I have recovered contact lists from the default outlook.pst file many of times and never had a problem. As long as the file itself isn't corrupted he should not have any problems.

Clay I have recovered contact lists from the default outlook.pst file many of times and never had a problem. As long as the file itself isn't corrupted he should not have any problems.

Ah, okay, sorry I was assuming this person was an exchange user. If the person is using POP and pulling down the email onto their system, then yes, the outlook.pst file should contain everything...if they don't pull down email, then the pst file won't even exist.

I hear ya! Yesterday was like that for me. Got an emergency call to a bank that had not backed up their Domain/File server in five years and of course it went down in a flaming pile of dung. lol

I hear ya! Yesterday was like that for me. Got an emergency call to a bank that had not backed up their Domain/File server in five years and of course it went down in a flaming pile of dung. lol

O MAN! Now that is what I call no fun.

wow thanks for the replies guys. nerm is correct - i did find them to be there shortly after i posted this thread. the contacts transferred just fine as well.

'preciate the replies though!