AMD vs. Intel Architectural Debate

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have not once specified an application or hardware that will demonstrated the advantage AMD has over Intel

I have shown you a number of tests, some CPU, some 3D design, and some 3D games, where AMD loses to a slower Intel CPU.

Please can you give me at least one ACTUAL example where AMD Phenom processors have superior performance?

I have tried to find an example for myself, thinking that you started this thread with some basis of an interesting architectural difference between AMD and Intel, and yet all you have is some vague notion of I/O performance giving AMD an advantage.

Unless you start to give concrete, demonstrated examples of AMD's performance being better, you are just making this thread more one-sided, with me giving you multiples examples of where Intel's architecture gives superior performance in any task, and you merely talking about theoretical architectural superiority.

Show me this performance you speak of, I am genuinely interested, and this is why I'm participating in this thread.

Probably because there is potential for some actual useful discussion, as well as the fact some interesting (if not entirely relevant) points have been made.

If we keep going round in circles for much longer, then that may be what ends up happening though.

Why not read about hardware and how processors work then.

Do you work for AMD or something?

I honestly cannot even fathom someone being that stubborn when they are clearly incorrect unless they have some ulterior motives...

How it stands now in the desktop processor market, Intel > AMD.

Nuff' said. Many people here, myself included, have extensively tested both and pushed them to the limits. Intel is the clear winner for a performance machine.

Done? Lock? This thread is doing nothing but confusing the uninformed. I would hate to see someone run out and make a new system based on incorrect information.

Why not read about hardware and how processors work then.

Because I already do?

B.Eng. Computer Systems Engineering (Honours) - graduated 2001

currently doing:

M.Sc. Computer Games Technology - focusing on audio hardware subsystems of PCs, consoles, and handheld gaming systems

Do you work for AMD or something?

I honestly cannot even fathom someone being that stubborn when they are clearly incorrect unless they have some ulterior motives...

eehhh?

I have said that Intel is a faster processor but AMD has better I/O performance. The reason why AMD is good on multi socket motherboards is very good I/O performance.

I know that I need to spend about 2 week or more to convince some here if it is possible, not interested in doing that. I would very much like to have someone that proves me wrong though (I know how to interpret reviews soI need some very good evidence).

It is difficult to find test that show I/O because its just this year that GPU’s increased their performance. 8800 GTX was the leader for a long time and card may have been something that the FSB could handle. They will show up though. I am just wating for someone to post some specific setups that will be very clear on the need for good I/O.

Edited by bioduken

I know that I need to spend about 2 week or more to convince some here if it is possible, not interested in doing that.

Good. I've been studying computer architecture since 1997, so I don't need you to continue waffling on with absolutely zero evidence to back up your argument.

You would fail both in academic and industrial settings.

I am just wating for someone to post some specific setups that will be very clear on the need for good I/O.

There are precious few occasions when that'll happen.

Besides, Intel is moving to an IMC later this year and then your entire argument (what little of it there is) will be moot.

Good. I've been studying computer architecture since 1997, so I don't need you to continue waffling on with absolutely zero evidence to back up your argument.

Why do people that buy (mainly)intel overclock their computers?

Do you think that the processor is the key to add performance or is it the higher FSB speed that is noticed by the user.

What is the main reason why intel created quickpath on nehalem?

Why it is so important on servers and not on hardcore gaming? How much data do you think that threads exchange with each other on servers?

Running a webserver then each request spins off in its own thread where each thread manages its own state. I think that most databases have the same type of logic. There isn