bioduken

AMD vs. Intel Architectural Debate

Why are we even ranting about this anyway. Sure even if you can prove AMD has better I/O performance than Intel since Intel owns them in everything else it doesn't carry much meaning. Unless amd can push out these new 45nm procs of theirs soon I think they may be doomed.

@dr_bowtie

Whups, good catch there. I had gotten those specs from my Korean assistant and I went back an asked him (had him check). Turns out that we are using Phenom X4 [email protected] The tri-cores are in the smaller computational machine that is used for individual research. My bad there. Or really, my post-doc's bad...

Jager

Unless amd can push out these new 45nm procs of theirs soon I think they may be doomed.

:lol: AMD isn't in any trouble at all. 99% of consumers don't care about ultra-high speed processing...OEMs are where Intel and AMD make all of their money.

Not to mention I expect them to have some good success with the 4800 series.

:lol: AMD isn't in any trouble at all. 99% of consumers don't care about ultra-high speed processing...OEMs are where Intel and AMD make all of their money.

very true....

only 1% or less of the whole PC industry is even remotely interested in Enthusiast performance or overclocking

99% of PC owners are the prebuilt owners...

and those 99% dont care whats inside or how many minutes it does this or that as long as it boots and they can do the things they intended the PC to do....

and as Verran I also have more AMD PCs than Intel (6 AMD/1 Intel) and the ONLY reason I built this intel rig is I do a good majority of video work and needed the faster speed of the Intels power....

for anything else I cannot tell a difference....

in my eyes, AMD's offerings for the home residential use is in the lower hands when compared to intel, IE, x2's and single cores cannot beat the intel's c2d chips, but when its business or server grade, the Opterons vs, the Extreme chips from intel, these two are basically on par. but when referrin to residential use, AMD offers their products in a much lower consumers expense. that's all. Both of these 2 companies have their good and bads. and as for the new Nahlem cores IMC, well guess what, amd has had that idea since the beginnin of the 64bits in this era, and i guess now intel just cant hold it anymore and had to take the "yes im copying ppl" blame now because that's how the future has to be ran.

in my eyes, AMD's offerings for the home residential use is in the lower hands when compared to intel, IE, x2's and single cores cannot beat the intel's c2d chips, but when its business or server grade, the Opterons vs, the Extreme chips from intel, these two are basically on par. but when referrin to residential use, AMD offers their products in a much lower consumers expense. that's all. Both of these 2 companies have their good and bads. and as for the new Nahlem cores IMC, well guess what, amd has had that idea since the beginnin of the 64bits in this era, and i guess now intel just cant hold it anymore and had to take the "yes im copying ppl" blame now because that's how the future has to be ran.
:blink:

Showing the CPU performance in practice in this range of different applications gives a clear view of the performance of a processor. If you have suggestions for additional apps/benchmarks that you would be interested in, then let bosco and/or ccokeman know, and they may consider adding it to the review suite.

I would very much like to see how GPU's perform using different processors in different resolutions using the FSB or Hypertransport 3.0. I think that there is some interest to know if GPU’s is jammed by slower PCI Express busses.

Also it would be very interesting to view how computers behave starting another applications and run the same test again.

Example:

Two ATI HD4870 ( 1 GB in each card when they arrive) in crossfire and one HD3850 512MB. Test with One Phenom 8450 X3 and one Phenom 9850 X4, also testing with one slow C2D and one fast C2Q. Testing these for some graphic intensive games in different resolutions (max 2560x1600) would be VERY interesting. I think that a test like that would be noticed everywhere if someone just hints about the test.

First GPU’s is common and very powerful, other GPU not that powerful. I/O would also be something that could be seen for that type of test. There are a lot of conclusions that could be made from that type of test. If it is possible to add an AMD motherboard with the new SB750 when that arrive it would be even better.

Testing games at low resolutions says very little. Those who play games at low resolutions don’t care about processors. Thos who care about speed plays (normally) at higher resolutions.

If done then running a video or some other not that demanding in the background to see how the performance changes for AMD and Intel is also something that would be nice to view.

Edited by bioduken

So to sum this up the outcome was:

Page 1. Bash bioduken for telling him that Intel is King at the moment.

Page 2. Prove to him why most of their processors are faster, "better".

Page 3. Conclude that Amd is pretty cool no matter what the numbers show

:lol: Ironic isn't it

EDIT: as a matter of fact its not, a thread like this happens all the time and ends the same.

I guess its just cuz we all see AMD as the underdog. Or the cute little puppy you just have to hold :wub:

:ph34r:

But really I prefer both companies when i choose what processor i want its mostly a mood lol, sometimes AMD sometimes Intel. I mostly play games so i have no need for the extra speed. Im going with Intel next just so i can do some benchmarks, overclocking, and a dry ice experiment.

Edited by damian

Example:

Two ATI HD4870 ( 1 GB in each card when they arrive) in crossfire and one HD3850 512MB. Test with One Phenom 8450 X3 and one Phenom 9850 X4, also testing with one slow C2D and one fast C2Q. Testing these for some graphic intensive games in different resolutions (max 2560x1600) would be VERY interesting. I think that a test like that would be noticed everywhere if someone just hints about the test.

First GPU

You don't have to do a review to know the outcome:

Top marks in every test: "Fast" C2Q

Trading blows: "Slow" C2Q and X4

Losing every test: X3

Who wins is not that important, it also depends on what you are looking at. There is a lot of ways to win. What I think is interesting is to know how different computer parts effect the speed. Using both Intel and AMD, slow and fast processors may reveal some "odd" results from what