Is It Worth Buying?

Hello to all of you...

I have to choose between two config for my upcoming pc, better say processors...

1st) AMD

5200+ F3 Windsor 90nm / 2600mhz with 2MB L2 Cache / 65W

Abit mATX mobo ABIT A-S78H (780/SB700)

4 GB DDR2 800mhz 5-5-5-12 Mushkin (frostbyte radiator)

9600 GSO Galaxy

PSU: Spire RT2 420W + a good Asus mATX Case

2nd) Intel

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 45nm / 2,53 GHz with 3MB L2 Cache / 65W

Gigabyte mATX mobo with G31 Chipset / G31M-S2L (poor mobo)

2GB DDR2 800mhz CL5 A-DATA Gaming Series

9600 GSO Galaxy

PSU: Spire RT2 420W + a good Asus mATX Case

Knowing that I'm a bit too late with "the shopping" because of the extinction of AM2 and LGA 775, I hope I make a wise decision and build a rig for the next few years. (work and gaming @ 1280 x 1024 max)

For the INTEL cfg: Though I could force myself to pay more for a good 775 mobo, a Giga with G33 chipset, I won't be satisfied with 2GB of RAM.

I find the AMD option a very stable, solid and good one. I have some doubts because of some ppl who think the X2 is too old in these days (meaning the whole architecture of 90nm - the decreased L2 cache). :(

For the moment, i won't choose to overclock (2500-2600mhz are enough for gaming and other things). But I wil OC, when the time needs it. (e7200 is so oc-able / F3 5200+ as good as the Black Edition on Brisbane - 5000+)

Please help me! I really don't know what to do. Is this X2 too old for nowadays? Should I go for Intel?

(also I could easily change things buying E2200/G31 mobo + 4GB and OC to 2600mhz. That means a few bucks to the el. bill - but I spare some money)

Thanks! Waiting for your reply!

(sorry for my damaged english :) )

Edited by Hisoka

Honest Answer - just wait a bit longer, theres a storm brewing and it has Intel written all over it :)

If you must build something now then build something for as little cost as possible, because in the near future your gonna want to build something else, I cant see any point in buying into s775 untill it becomes clear what the storm will bring.

Regards,

Welcome to OCC Hisoka

If it were between those 2 CPU's only then I would certainly go for the Intel setup every time.

I used to love AMD with extreme prejudice but you have to go for the price/performance these days and sadly its rarely with AMD. Unless your going to spend 2000$+ on the latest setup then there is a ton of options still there for a sweet 775 setup for under 1000$. The downside about holding off until new components are released is your never done waiting, something new is always around the corner.

You have a very capable Graphics card so that will help a lot in any platform you choose, if you are running XP then 2Gb is plenty either way, for Vista get as much RAM as you can afford lol.

I don't know much about the PSU you chose but personally I would go for something with a good reputation of clean stable power, OCZ, XClio, TT, Corsair and because your installing to a small case then its got to be modular, hiding the extra wires is bad enough in a big case. I think something in the 500w+ region would be enough to cope with the odd upgrade or extra bells and whistle's you might add in the future, 420w seems a little on the edge to me.

Between those two setups the temp difference will be big, as you don't have a lot of options for a heatsink with the micro case, a 45nm CPU is going to run a lot cooler than the 90nm.

No doubt building a rig for today is a lot harder than a few years ago, your best bet is to read as many reviews as possible by actual owners, newegg.com is great for this even if you don't buy from there its a good source of information and opinions.

BTW your English is very good :)

Good Luck

:) Thanks a lot for your answers! It seems I'll wait a bit this summer, to catch a price drop at Intel.

About PSU, I can make some efforts to buy a Fortron BSII 500W or Corsair VX450.

Although I want less space occupied, I think I will pass the mATX option and go for Middle Tower. Don`t know what to choose, for now... with the money I have, I can go for this Wing RS 101 from TT.

wing101(1).gif

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

Edited by Hisoka

I found a P43 motherboard with all solid and japanese capacitors, from AsRock. :wub: Details: HERE

It has the same price as a top P35 express mobo from Gigabyte. Normally, I would go for the newest chipset - but I saw recently that many have said that the layout of the AsRock is horrible. (but the rest is good - meaning quality, options and so on).

What should I choose for the E7200, in the same price range? Is the layout a definite problem?

Yeah the 24Pin connector is in a bad position on that Asrock, means having the wires on top or too near the NB heatsink. Its not really a problem if you don't mind the power cables being there, but it would take the look off it if you had a case with a window and it could interfere with a large CPU heatsink but this doesn't really mean anything based on performance. Fortron PSU's are some of the best quality PSU's made today, expensive in comparrison to others but you get exactly what you pay for, quality and clean power, Corsair make a fine PSU too. As for which case I have no idea bro, these days it makes more sense to choose a case based on what size of heatsink you want to put in it. If you wanted to use a heatsink like the TRU120E then you need a case wide enough and without any side panel mounted fans to get in the way as they usually leave you with less than an inch from the side panel.