What Would You Do Gtx 260 Question.

Uantyv

I'd wait and get the 4870 especially if price is an issue....

the 260 is the lesser of the 2 evils in the nvidia line up and he 4870 should be on par or better than the 280

Well, this is a question that has been and is being beaten to death.

Benchmarks on the 4870 seem to put it in a range somewhere slightly under a gtx 260 to slightly under a gtx 280 depending on a lot of factors. Heat seems to be a big potential issue with the stock cooler on the 4870. Many will tell you to wait until the 4870x2 is released and perhaps that is sound judgement (although that one may need to come wth a fire extinguisher).

In making your decision, I guess the first question is what motherboard do you have? If I had a nvidia sli motherboard already, I don't think I would replace the board just to set up things for crossfire 4870s in the future. If you have a nforce sli board, I'd probably go for the gtx 260 at that price and consider an upgrade path to a second gtx 260 sometime in the future. If your board is not nvidia sli and/or you have NO plans to go to multiple cards in the future, then perhaps a 4870 is a better choice.

Honest answer is that your not going to make a whole heap of difference whichever choice you make. My sense is that the biggest potential bang in an enthusiast system may end up being 2 4870x2 cards in crossfire, but clearly (1) this is going to be a heat generating nightmare and (2) you aren't really talking about going that extreme.

Just one of about a million opinions.

Yay MSI and ASUS :D HD 4870 is coming to warehouse in couple of days for 299USD and ASUS for 280 :D and Asus GTX 260 for 360USD. So many choices :(

Edited by Uantyv