Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Merge With Diy Forum "complete"

Hi everyone,

Yesterday afternoon the IPB folks began the merge with the DIY forum. This is something we have been waiting for over 2 weeks, so we were very excited.

However, things were not to go as smoothly as we had assumed they would. Apparently there was a speed issue with the merge, and the entire operation took something like 10hours, during which the forums had been shut down for safety and performance reasons. After the merge completed, many of us could not reach the forums at all, but it appears as though some of you could.

After fiddling around with it, either I, or IPB managed to get the forums fully functional this morning, around 10am PST.

The new DIY forums have been put into their own category. Bosco and the forum mods will likely reorganize everything when they are ready, for now they are temporarily in the Merged DIY category which you'll see on the main forum page.

Sorry for the crazy long forum downtime. None of us had anticipated this to take so long, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused everyone. Hopefully things run a bit more smoothly here on out, and thankfully the merge is finally coming along!

===

Note: There might be other weird stuff. User accounts may have doubled, and the threads that DIY members created on DIY-street are not attached to your accounts here. All these issues we have to figure, I really don't know if there is an easy fix for any of these kinds of things, or if there is any fix at all, so please be patient in the meantime.

Well, the downtime screen said 10 minutes, so you were... erm... close. :P

Well, the downtime screen said 10 minutes, so you were... erm... close. :P

<_< haha

hey cool, there's an "Old DFI Street" forum in the DIY Street section :D

so now it's Old Old... nested old like some of my hard drives lol

I know there will probably be a lot of little issues here and there since the merger. When you guys see an issue please report it in the Site Help section.

I tried to tell you guys....there was more Diy content than this site could handle....lol

finally glad it's here....:)

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the previous two posts.

The search button is there for a reason. Please learn to use it. While there are a good number who will use this forum for it's access to the old DIY forum content, we need to integrate it into this forum because we are not looking to keep two communities separate. You guys need to get it through your skulls that we are a MERGED community now. That means no separation.

Dave took the time to move all of the threads into appropriate places. My own experience as well as his with forums = we know that more forum sections = more confusing, and then you have subforums that dry up and die quickly, and end up being a nuisance and taking up space blah blah blah.

There will NOT be a separation of the two communities. That was part of the deal Dave and I made when we agreed to do this. We agreed (as does the overwhelming majority of both OCC staff and DIY staff) that to keep things separate and segregated would cause far too many problems than the initial amount of issues some of you will have asking "where did this go?".

Simple and best answer is same answer you would get from me at DIY: USE THE SEARCH BUTTON.

I can find anything I want from DIY as well as OCC in these forums by using the search button. I suggest you learn it well as it will serve you greatly here at this forum as well as beyond this forum in the big world of the internet.

it's ok man....

I agree to disagree...I am cool with that....

but the search function does work for most post...:)

Can anyone confirm that ALL of the DIY content merged? I've been searching hi and low for two days for a couple of posts I know existed, but can't find them. Were there some things that were left un-merged intentionally?

Sign in to follow this