Which X-Box 360 versions to avoid

AnUnknownSource

So I'm about to buy an X-Box 360, but I'm confused about all these RRoD and 'ohcrapmyhouseisonfire' versions (and a little worried about that last one since my walls are wood paneling)

Can anyone break it down as to which revisions I should avoid? I'm thinking the Platinum HDMI version, but you all might be able to steer me in a better direction.

On a side note, once I've wore it in a little, I'll be doing some major modding, and I'll post all my endeavers here to add to this section's content.

shouldn't be any problems with any of them anymore. My friend Jeff just bought the Pro and it seems like it has the 65nm chips in it as it's much quieter than mine.

Mine was a replacement from RROD and it was mfg'd on July 24th 2007 and has given me no problems so you shouldn't have any.

Don't waste the money on the Elite with the big hdd as you will never fill the hdd (because you aren't stupid enough to pay $1.99 to download each tv show and $4.99 or whatever to download rented movies...)

Thanks Angry!

hey, before I post anything I shouldn't, is there anything against posting Mods to the 360? I'm not sure what's considered 'fair game' and what's not. If you have any guidance, I'd appreciate it.

it is illegal and so we won't talk about it

however...replacing the 20GB hdd with say a 160GB drive with flashed firmware shouldn't be anything bad to talk about...but things like chipping the box or downloading games to the hdd etc goes against MS's EULA or TOS or whatever the hell it is and we'd rather not have MS and their crew of ambulance chasers on our case (since most of us are MS Partners)

Grab the regular Pro version and you're good to go. The Arcade you don't want because it doesn't have a HD, but you don't want the Elite either because you're paying for a black case and hard drive space you likely won't use. The Pro used to be called the Premium until it received HDMI capability as a standard. All the new units are on 65nm.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna make them take the unit out of the box in the store so I can see when it was built.

The Pro version they have on base here comes with a component cable, but not an HDMI cable... it'll work with HDMI if I buy a cable right? I have a 52" rear projection coming in June :-) and would like to use HDMI if possible...

So the Pro is the Premium with HDMI support... but the premium on newegg says it has HDMI support. I'll go take a look at the box on base and see if it comes with the 175W power supply. I guess thats supposed to mean the chipset is the newer falcon chipset. I don't trust AAFES, they'd be likely to sell older stock. They're horrible.

it is illegal and so we won't talk about it

however...replacing the 20GB hdd with say a 160GB drive with flashed firmware shouldn't be anything bad to talk about...but things like chipping the box or downloading games to the hdd etc goes against MS's EULA or TOS or whatever the hell it is and we'd rather not have MS and their crew of ambulance chasers on our case (since most of us are MS Partners)

Oh I know to stay away from those topics... I was talking about changing the HD, and actually was mostly thinking about putting Linux on it (or Leopard :-), just for ***** and giggles... don't know if I can do that without chipping it... but we'll see.

I'll also paint it, or put a window in it or something... but only after I've got my $350 worth, lol

Newegg probably just hasn't updated their naming scheme.

One more thing. If you plan on using the optical out for surround sound you'll either A) Have to buy a special dongle that lets you use HDMI and optical out at the same time, or B) Remove the casing of the AV cable, so that both the AV cable and the HDMI cable will be able to fit into the rear of the 360. The optical out is on the back of the AV cable, and the AV cable casing is too large for it and the HDMI cable to be plugged in at the same time. The dongle I speak of has optical and stereo out, but it's slim enough to fit into the 360 while using HDMI at the same time. The Elite actually comes stock with one, but it's obviously not worth the extra money. I would suggest tearing open the housing on the stock AV cable, unless you're worried about cosmetics because you'll have the full AV cable hanging out the back end of the Xbox. If you're using HDMI on the 360 for audio and video then obviously none of this will be required. Not sure if you can pass audio through your projector or not. Cheers.