fx 5200

Guest Neezer_merged

Guest Neezer

So no laughing at the vid card, but i am having display issues, and I think it could be my vid card.

I have the FX-5200. Running XP pro, and I just got a Dell 22" widescreen. The native resoultion is 1680-1050, but i can't run it. I have installed the lated nvidia driver for my card.

when I try to set the resolution to 1680-1050 the screen just goes black. Right now I am running 1280x1024 and it just looks crappy. everything is too wide and everything.

any suggestions? the box for my vid card says that is supports up to 1680-1050 so it should work...maybe I am just missing a setting or something like that.

You're running Linux? Have you checked if it works in windows?

Temporarily, while solving your problem, I'd suggest setting your card to "not scale" which would prevent the stretching (and leave black bars on the sides but should be easier to look at).

Guest Neezer

well, i am in XP. I took Ubuntu off...I guess I need to update the sig...I'll change it to no scaling so that it looks better for the time being though.

Neezer,

"Supporting" versus actually being able to run at that resolution for most of the things you probably want to do are two totally different animals.

Your best bet is to upgrade your video card as soon as you get a chance. ATi 3850/3870 or nVidia 8800GT 320mb would be fairly inexpensive and effective options for you.

you might have to do the 'custom resolution' thing with an FX5200. I have a hell of a time getting the one I have to do 1440x900 even with the any range of drivers (from old to latest). Custom res is the only way I can get it to do that resolution (remember the card was mfg'd waaaay before all these widescreen resolutions were adopted, and the only real way I think to make it do these resolutions would be with a gpu bios flash).

forget that 3850/8800 stuff. If you are on a budget, get a $65-$85 8600GT if they make them in AGP. If not, hit newegg to find out which flavors of AGP are still available (never seen an FX5200 in PCI-E).

Guest Neezer

Not really on a budget, in fact i am thinking that in 3 or 4 months i might just get a whole new rig with a quad core and such....I guess the question is, is there a carg that is AGP that would work with a new quad core board? or should I just wait and deal with what I have for now....it just sucks that I got a shiny new monitor, and I can't use it to its fullest potential.

I have tried doing a custom size, and it doesn't seem to want to work either....I can't even get it to run without the scaling on.

Thanks for the input guys....do you think it would be worth it to get a new card for this rig if I am not going to be able to switch it over to a new rig in 3 - 6 months? Can I get a board with an AGP slot on it? and would it be worth it to get a quad core and a board with an AGP slot?

forget that 3850/8800 stuff. If you are on a budget, get a $65-$85 8600GT if they make them in AGP. If not, hit newegg to find out which flavors of AGP are still available (never seen an FX5200 in PCI-E).

Yep, absolutely . . .

A_G with finals coming up and everything still keyed on the fact that you were using AGP and not PCIe.

Forget anything I said. Sometimes I'm a dumb^^+

Guest Neezer
Yep, absolutely . . .

A_G with finals coming up and everything still keyed on the fact that you were using AGP and not PCIe.

Forget anything I said. Sometimes I'm a dumb^^+

No worries...I was doing some googling and found a site that said to use VGA instead of DVI. I'll try to give that a shot over the next few days and let you guys know whats up. Also, I tried doing custom settings, and it still wouldn't work. The screen goes blank and a message comes up saying that it cannot display in that mode. and that optimum is 1680x1050...which is kind of odd because that is the resolution that i tried. I also tried 1440x900 to no avail.

Neezer,

What refresh rate do you have set? At 1680X1050 your maximum refresh rate will be 60hz.

You may have to force that refresh rate either through your monitor OSD and/or the nVidia control panel. Check your current refresh rate and let me know what it is.

Not really on a budget, in fact i am thinking that in 3 or 4 months i might just get a whole new rig with a quad core and such....I guess the question is, is there a carg that is AGP that would work with a new quad core board? or should I just wait and deal with what I have for now....it just sucks that I got a shiny new monitor, and I can't use it to its fullest potential.

I have tried doing a custom size, and it doesn't seem to want to work either....I can't even get it to run without the scaling on.

Thanks for the input guys....do you think it would be worth it to get a new card for this rig if I am not going to be able to switch it over to a new rig in 3 - 6 months? Can I get a board with an AGP slot on it? and would it be worth it to get a quad core and a board with an AGP slot?

Get yourself a cheapo card to tide you over like this:

X1650

or something even more recent like

the honest truth is get something to just tide you over as right now there's simply no reason to plug more money into your rig, and I'll tell you why

1. Core2Duo E2180 2Ghz @ $69.99 w/free shipping

2. Gskill 2x1GB DDR2-800 @ $42.99 (with 1800+ user reviews!!!)

3. Gigabyte P35-DS3L @ $89.99 (with 1200+ user reviews!)

so right there, you got a killer machine for $203-ish before video card...and you'll probably need a new psu (I don't see one in your sig so you'll have to tell us what you have but I'm gonna say for sure it won't be enough for this new rig, so let's keep shopping a little heh)

now...really this depends on what your budget is and just as important, which video card you decide to go with.

Let's keep you on a tight and low budget like we are on already (I mean, come on...$203 and you are into 2GB RAM + P35 + Core2Duo!!?? lol). Lets start with a video card. Gamer like you, probably not rich, but want something last a long time like your FX5200 did, but allow you to play all the newest DX10 games for the forseeable future...ok...here we go:

4. ATI 3870 512MB PCI-E @ $170 - $15 MIR

or

MSI 8800GT 512MB PCI-E @ $189 - $25 MIR or if you prefer eVGA @ same price but with $30 MIR. Both cards have 400+ user reviews ;)

ok either the ATI or the Nvidia cards will last a while. Both are DX10.1, both are 512MB video mem, etc.

So that means you'll need a decent psu...

5. you can go with the cheaper Xclio 500w psu @ $54.99 if you want. I have one of these running dual 7950GT's in SLI on a watercooled, overclocked X2 3800+ AM2 (@ 2600Mhz), 2GB DDR2, 4 hdd's, the whole works. Nary a problem in over a year of full-time gaming.

My personal choice to get the best bang for your buck on a budget would be the Antec NEO 550w psu @ $79.99. I also have this psu. It ran X1900XT's in super-overclocked-Crossfire mode on my E6600 Core2Duo (2400Mhz stock, clocked up to 3.2Ghz), with full watercooling etc etc. It currently runs my E6400 server w/4GB RAM + 1TB hdd space etc. HIGH RECOMMENDED. Best bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned, and damn quiet to boot.

So, let's see...with ATI card & Antec psu, you are at $453 before any rebates...and your machine is already in the top 10% when compared to the general public. Considering that the E2180 cpu can clock easily to 3Ghz without much fuss, you are definitely in the top 10%, closer to 5% probably. Not that you need to be there to be secure in the size of your e-penis...just saying...pretty kick-butt deal for $453.

If you go with the Nvidia card and Antec psu, you are at $473 before any rebates ($30 MIR for the eVGA vid card and you are at $443, cheaper than with the ATI card before rebates!). For less than $500 you are in a machine that kicks butt, takes names, and will last a good chunk of time without having to upgrade much in the future (you might have to put in another 2GB of DDR2 at some point, or a bigger cpu...but hey, it's a small upgrade compared to buying an entirely new system right?)

Ok, that's my final pre-final-exam help lol. Remember if you ever shop online, check our banners/storefront for links as it helps the street out. If you have any questions, just ask. If I survive finals, I'll answer. If not, these chuckleheads will answer for me haha.

I'll have to agree with Angry on the E21XX and the Gigabyte DS3L combo, best money I spent was able to hit 3.0 Ghz by only changing the fsb speed and manually setting the ram timings.

Guest Neezer

wow....thanks a lot guys....I appreciate the input.

I still have yet to try the VGA instead of the DVI. if the VGA works I will forgo getting a new card for a few months until I can get a new rig.

The current rig that I have started back when I was a senior in highschool. I needed something for college, and this is what I got. Since then I have had to replace the motherboard, and the SATA drive is an add on. The vid card was also added after the fact. I got hold of a spare monitor from my dad, and I wanted to run dual so I needed a card to do it.

My situation has changed since then, (no longer a poor college student) and it is time for an upgrade. I don't game a lot. I play and lot of Starcraft and Command and Conquer, but never really got into the new games too much. I guess I just like the old school stuff. (I still own and play my NES all the time). Either that or I never got into the new stuff cause my rig couldn't run it.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of quad core and 4GB of RAM. Along with this a solid 16x graphics card that I can run Star Craft 2 on.

For my current rig I am planning on setting it up as a file/media server. I am thinking about getting 2 500GB SATA drives for that....My brother and I have lots of DVD's and music that we want to have on our network. This is a whole other thread altogether, but I guess one questions won't hurt.

I work as a field engineer for an oilfield services company....I go out to oil rigs and work there for 3-4 weeks at a time. Is it possible for me to set something up on the server where I can access it from anywhere. and get movies and music? We have highspeed connections out on the rigs. Another thing that I want to be able to do is to save data from work onto my server at home. Mostly just paperwork and stuff. Just so that I have a backup of all that stuff in case my work laptop craps out.

Thanks Angry, I really appreciate the input, and I will definitely let you all know what I end up doing. It may be a while though, I am moving to Jackson Hole tomorrow and We won't be able to get internet hooked up for a few days. if/when i get this all running the way I want I'll definitely let you all know.

Thanks to all who helped