Charlie Daniels upset about the use of his song in Guitar Hero 3

radodrill

Just came across this earlier today; Charlie Daniels is disgusted with the way that his song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" was implemented in GH3; particularly the fact that the devil can win even so the intent of the song was that the country boy would always win.

The song, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," which I wrote, is supposed to be a lighthearted novelty about a fiddling contest between a country boy and the devil and the devil always loses.

That is not the case with the Guitar Hero version which comes complete with a horned, guitar-playing devil who battles the player and very often wins.

I want any of you parents out there whose children have this game to know that I did not grant these people my permission to pervert my song and am disgusted with the result.

Unfortunately I lost the publishing rights on the song many years ago in a settlement with a former partner and the license to Guitar Hero was granted by the company who now owns the publishing.

I would never grant permission for some company to create a video game version of a song I wrote in which the devil wins a contest and I'm sorely disappointed with the company who owns the copyright for not policing the situation. As it is they have allowed these people to violate the very essence of the song.

I have to say that I agree with his sentiments that the "rock cover" featured in the game is by no means in accord to Charlie's intent (even musically)

I'm not trying to bash anyone if they like the way the song was utilized or attack the game developers for "defacing" the song (everyone is entitled to their own opinion); I just thought some of you might be interested to see what the songwriter had to say about it.

how about: Dear Charlie Daniels,

STFU YOU WHINER. YOU might be disgusted with the song, but there isn't a single guitar hero player out there who is disgusted. You sound like the same whiny piece of . crybaby as that other band (The Romantics) who is trying to sue guitar hero for making their song 'too realistic' (ie the cover song that the game's house band did sounds "too much like the original").

Here's a xxxxing clue douchebags: ITS A GAME. NO ONE GIVES A . THAT YOU ARE UNHAPPY BECAUSE ALL THE CUSTOMERS WHO BOUGHT THE GAME ARE SUPREMELY-MEGA-AWESOMELY-BIG-BIG-HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.

No one gives a . that a has-been like you is crying that you don't like the fact that the devil can win boo hoo boo hoo go cry to your momma country boy. Jesus. What's next, Metallica suing Guitar Hero and Rock Band because too many people are enjoying their music now????

You people need to DIE.

Don't license your . to be in these games if you are gonna cry like a little classy lady about it.

If you don't own the license to your music, then shut your xxxxing stupid redneck mouth because no one gives a damn...you should have not traded your song rights for a bottle of whiskey and your 13 year old cousin's hand in marriage ya xxxxing lamer.

"Unfortunately I lost the publishing rights on the song many years ago in a settlement with a former partner and the license to Guitar Hero was granted by the company who now owns the publishing."

That sums it up right there. He lost his rights. He can STFU now.

Guest Retratserif

I believe he has his rights to his opinion and intent of the song. Though there is nothing he can do atm. I listen to that song almost everyday, on my on accord "not radio".

I cannot comment on AG's opinion or words on his view. I find it to be a little to extreme at times. lol.

I just think he has the right to let people know that this was not the intent of the song, " to have the devil win". I also think he has the right to classy lady about all he wants. Though it just makes others "AG" even more angry than normal.

Personally I cannot disclaim what C.D. has brought to the county/folk music industry. A good majority of his music is really good and well written. Maybe its only me.