Sign in to follow this  
nice_shoes

Now what am I gonna do?

They start one after another with some overlap occurring during the boot process. Windows 2000 and later do a pretty good job of optimizing the boot process (it kind of learns) so to speak.

If you want to see what is loading during the boot process you can use BootVis and run a trace. It will show you exactly what is loading, when and the overlaps.

intensive multitasking = doing many things at once that require a lot of cpu cycles such as having 4 browser tabs open while listening to Winamp and playing a video game in a window while at the same time rendering a picture in Photoshop while watching a tutorial video on how to work in Photoshop

;)

the startup items are of little to no consequence for the most part as long as there aren't a zillion unecessary ones.

go to Start - Run and in the Run box type: msconfig

go to the startup tab and tell us what is in there (best is to take a screenshot, and sometimes you have to take two if there are so many programs that the msconfig window has a vertical scrollbar). You should also remember the rules of image sizes here (nothing over 800x600 using img tags, if larger than 800x600 just upload it and put the link in your post).

Then again, I highly suggest you watch the Windows XP Tweak Guide tutorial video I mentioned earlier.

If you plan to upgrade in the future and don't want to throw a lot of money at it and you dont need vary many pci slots for your needs i would suggest to looking into a small form factor setup. I built my system, "see my sig" (except for v-card) for around $750.