Sign in to follow this  
Snyper

DDR3 - Good as a future investment?

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of speccing up a new rig, and I've hit a bit of a bump when it comes to RAM, specifically whether I should go for a cheaper DDR2 based rig, or whether I should go for a more expensive DDR3 based rig.

Now, this rig will be mainly used for gaming with some DB development work done as well (until I can build my own test server), so speed is key, which suggests DDR3, however, everything I've seen up to this point says there's next to nothing between current DDR2 and DDR3 modules.

Another thing to consider is that I'm hoping that this rig will last me a few years, so I'm looking to future proof it somewhat, and it seems to me that DDR2 is coming to the end of it's design/development lifecycle, whereas DDR3 is just starting.

So, my main question is, for a system that I hope will last a fair while, should I go down the DDR3 route, or build a DDR2-based system? Or, alternatively, should I wait until DDR4 comes out (which has been rumoured to be around Q3/Q4 this year).

Thanks,

Thanks,

DDR3 is barely used on a mass market and DDR4 is already rumored to be coming out? Wouldn't that require DDR4 compatibility motherboards? Unless I'm missing something and they are already out, in which case I apologize. I would think that top-end DDR2 would be fine now, unless you wanted to get DDR3 for that extra longevity.

It would also depend on what $ you're willing to spend - found Crucial DDR3 2000 2x1 kit for $600 / 2x1 DDR3 1800 for $460 on Newegg. Which would in turn need a mobo that handles FSB500 pretty well, DDR3 boards look to be around $350.

If you've got the cash, it would definitely be future proofing it. Otherwise, DDR2 seems to work just as well for much less IMHO.