Sign in to follow this  
swaaye

Best BIOS for 4 DIMMs

I have 2x 1GB DIMMs and 2x512MB DIMMs. I've been running with the 2x1GB setup for years. I figured I'd try for 3GB by adding the 2x 512s, but the board absolutely refuses to see both pairs together. It'll see either the 2x512s or 2x1GBs, but not both pairs at once. It just sees one pair or the other. So, I'll have all of it installed, it POSTs and sees either 2GB or 1GB depending on which slots each pair is in. Strange stuff. It'll even go into Windows fine like that!

So, I was wondering if any of the 2 dozen modded BIOSes out there are more flexible with regard to 4 DIMMs. Hard to find descriptions on what each does. I'm running the final official BIOS right now.

I'd just grab another pair of these 1GB PC4000s, but they cost a fortune today. Total rip offs, eh.

704-2bta, get it from TMods CD.....

that said, running with four dimm slots populated is not easy, even if the mems match perfectly (same manu, same PCB). more volts with four sticks, timings must be manually adjusted, CPC should be set to 2T.

the expert and venus boards are much better with four dimms, but still no guarantees...

bummer, this line of DFI's is still a monster anyway..

laterzzzz.....

704-2bta, get it from TMods CD.....

that said, running with four dimm slots populated is not easy, even if the mems match perfectly (same manu, same PCB). more volts with four sticks, timings must be manually adjusted, CPC should be set to 2T.

the expert and venus boards are much better with four dimms, but still no guarantees...

bummer, this line of DFI's is still a monster anyway..

laterzzzz.....

QFT,

Swaaye,

You aren't going to see any real benefit from running 4gb of memory right now if you're running Windows XP. And definitely not worth the hassle of trying to get all four dimms populated on the NF4 Ultra-D. Usually way too much load on the A64 onboard memory controller, especially when you start mixing and matching.

Guest Retratserif

No guarantees is right. My expert will do 4 dims, but at the cost of FSB. It just will not stay stable at 200 fsb. Sad, but I didnt have a matched pair.

Good luck, and Tmod's are good, I think I still am using Merlins on mine though.

255x11 stable with 3700+ "only 2 dimms though" was pretty good for me. He is right... your going to get more performance from a higher OC "2 dimms", than using 4 dimms with a gimped FSB or Divider on your ram.

But this also depends on your applications. If you are doing heaving drafting or 3d art, 3gb's may be better for sustaining moderate performance. But for gaming, a high OC and 2gb's is king still. Well, for XP 32 at least.