Sign in to follow this  
LeeLarkin

Performance loss when converting IDE drives to usb ext?

I'm building a new system and the one i have now is pretty old. But I still want to hang on to my IDE 250gb hdd and DVDRW. I was planning on jumping an old 100w psu, getting 2 ide to usb adapters and a usb hub and pretty much making 2 external drives. The hdd will just be for storage and back up, nothing will boot from this drive of course. I may need to boot from the dvd drive to install OS but thats not a problem to do. My only concern/question is, is there a big difference in data rates or performance? Will burning a DVD be extra slow? I don't burn movie disks, just data. If i plan on doing that ill just go int sata route.

I haven't really seen anyone try exactly what I'm doing. If anyone knows of a similar project or even worklog i would really appreciate a link or info.

Thanks a lot! (first post btw!)

Well first off, welcome to the street! Always glad to see a new face around here. As far as your question goes, (assuming I am understanding it correctly), I would think the only limiting factor for you is going to be usb speeds. If you're still on usb 1.1, then the speeds are going to be a lot slower than you are used to. Usb 2.0 will be better of course, but would be noticeable at any rate. Nothing to severe though. It shouldn't take you 6 hours to burn a data dvd if thats what you're worried about.