CPU , MOBO, or PSU wht happened? thnx

So my computer was running fine, then I turned it off to go to work. Came back and nothing. I hit the power switch nothing, tried the onboard switch didnt work. Reset my cmos and everything, still didnt work. I dont know wht would randomly cause this, it worked flawlssly before and now there's like no power. But the amber light on my mobo is lit up

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mako,

Turn of power supply and disconnect power cord from wall socket. Disconnect all psu power leads from the board and all peripheral hardware. Reconnect a hard drive and a single fan to your power supply to provide some load.

Use a paper clip or wire lead to jump the green and the black wire leads on your ATX connector. Plug the power supply back in and turn the power on. See if the power supply will power up. If it does check the voltage rails using a digital multimeter and see if they are operating within ATX specification (+/- 5% of nominal).

The OCZ Powerstream 520W is an excellent power supply, but hey, even excellent power supplies can fail over time.

Let me snap a quick pic. and I'll show you what pins to jump.

Guest Darien

it can also be the black wire right next to the green.. they are both ground wires.. either will do ;)

it can also be the black wire right next to the green.. they are both ground wires.. either will do ;)

Good point, but it's awful darn hard to get a large paper clip bent around to fit into pins #4 and #5. And the last thing you want to do is short the two out.

yeah I got it and the psu worked fine...

so I hooked everything back up and wasnt working, so I connected the paper clip back in, and it worked, and my computer started up saying something about the cmos neededing to be restored back to default settings, the cpu freq was set to high. SO I loaded default settings, and im afraid to take out the paperclip lol.. since its working fine now

THanks sooo much guys!!!!

SO I loaded default settings, and im afraid to take out the paperclip lol.. since its working fine now

THanks sooo much guys!!!!

Whooaa! How did you get the 24-pin atx connector attached back to the motherboard with the paperclip still in the connector? That ain't right! Please explain ASAP before we have a real catastrophe on our hands.

Well I reconnected all my wires placed the PSU back in the case. Made sure everything was good and while the ATX was out i placed the paperclip in the wireleads, and plugged it into the mobo while the psu was on and it works. So now to turn on and off my computer I have the flip the psu on/off switch in the back