Sign in to follow this  
wildman2

socket a

Ok iv'e got a gigabyte socket a mother board sitting around doing nothing.Can this and a 1.2ghz tbird a cheap agp ideo card make a decent setup for a 47 in projection tv.Tv is capable of 1080p

I've got handfulls of ram for it and lots of hd to hook up if needed.

If that wont do i've also got a gateway 5028 that was rapped it is a 939 btx.This one would cost a lot more to get going though.Woul need ram cpu but is has onboard 6150 graphics.Would the 6150 be ok?It already has the media center as the OS.

Neither one will work really good with 1080p and might also struggle with 720p. The obvious choice for me would be to get the s939 rig going, but both the 939 and the socket A rig would need a better graphic card and CPU. The 6150 would barely cut it with some really high bitrates.The cheapest/lowest video card I would get is this 6800XT 128MB for AGP or it's counterpart for PCIeX. You basically have three options, get the fastest 462 CPU on ebay, 3200's are around $30 bucks right now, check this list auction is on for another hour or so. You can also try to find one from somewhere else online but they'll probably be more expensive. Then there is our For Sale section, of course. You actually might have a good chance of finding something there.

In my opinion the CPU is going to be the limiting factor. 1080p takes up a lot of resources. Even on my [email protected] VLC media player can use up to 40% of my CPU depending on the video bitrate. I would rather save up some money and buy a cheap cpu and mobo that can handle 1080p better. You can get a E2160 (what I got) and a MSI P6NGM-FIH 7150 that has onboard HDMI for around $150. In case you don't have DDR2 RAM, these OCZ platinum sticks are excellent and dirt cheap at $45.

So it really depends how much you wanna spend, for ca $75 you can try your luck with the socket A rig or the s939, which I don't think is going to work real well for 1080p with the 6150, or for $200 you could have a nice HTPC that should serve you well for a long time.

Hmmm I do have a pci-e 6800 w 256 mb ram in my rig, guess it could go in the htpc.It does 400 core 1000 mem .Then get me a new one for my pc I don't game so a massive card is not needed.8500gt ddr3 maybe.

Would a 3800 venice or a 4000 sandy work ok or do X2's work way better..I don't want to /can't spend much.Off of work on sick pay1/3 of what I normaly make.Will be on it for about 3-4 more months so spending alot is a no no.

The T.V. has a dvi input.And the stereo has 6 channel hookup for dvd.

May end up selling some of this old stuff thats laying around to help in the construction of this unit.

For HD I find that a dual core works better, but you should be able to manage with a decent single core. I would say get rid of the socket A stuff, before it depreciates any more.

just buy any motherbaord base with a 780G chipset,

this thing with 2gb of ram and do 1080P with a sempron ... just add a cheap dual core

you can get this for a couple buck,

mobo are around 80$, 30$ for a 2gb ddr2 kit, 60$ for a cpu ..... use a old HDD and the rest of your stuff laying around ....

Was thinking bout that 780 combined with a 3400 ati crossfired and quite a bit of ram and a dualy sempron.Cash flow is a little slow right now so it's going to get put on the backburner for a bit.. Fired up the gig-a-byte just to see if it would boot and it did.Whats a realistic price I'd get out of that a cpu cooler and that hand full of ram.Could include a pci or agp video card also.Got a 1.2 and a 1.0 gig Athalon cpu's 1.2 is 200fsb 1.0 is 266.