Sign in to follow this  
paulktreg

User Review: Atrix 500T Power Supply Review

Paul,

I'm very impressed. Nice work. Thank you.

Originally posted by Neezer.

I guess I just have one question regarding the resistances of your load. As we all know electrical resistance increases with temperature. Were you running your load at the rated temperature? or could your load have actually been putting more load on the PS than you had calculated?

Calculations stopped once the load was built. As you say the resistance of the load will change with temperature so I verified all currents and voltages, once settled, with my multimeter.

Regards

Paul

Nicely done.

Just a thought

For D is it possible to get a close up to show the components used for the 3.3v/5v/12v outputs as this section will vary on a higher end PSU. (For comparison reasons).

Originally posted by technodanvan.

Indeed, most oscilloscopes I've used have a COM port on them, though I have no idea where you'd find the necessary software for it.

The first oscilloscope I tried, the Fluke Scopemeter, does have a com port but the required lead and software costs in the region of £75.00. The Beckman I used for the photographs is a bit dated and as no external comm ports.

I am looking at buying one of these:

http://www.partsforhdtv.com/pcbased-usb-di...2150-p-247.html

This would enable me to use my PC as my oscilloscope and get much clearer screenshots.

Regards

paulktreg

The first oscilloscope I tried, the Fluke Scopemeter, does have a com port but the required lead and software costs in the region of £75.00. The Beckman I used for the photographs is a bit dated and as no external comm ports.

I am looking at buying one of these:

http://www.partsforhdtv.com/pcbased-usb-di...2150-p-247.html

This would enable me to use my PC as my oscilloscope and get much clearer screenshots.

Regards

paulktreg

Whew, awfully expensive. Wouldn't the Fluke be more accurate? I mean if the cable/software only costs ~$150 that might be more cost effective, unless you're just borrowing the scope from work or something.

The scope is borrowed from work. Perhaps I should try and convince them it's something they need.

The USB scope I'm looking at is available on ebay direct from China at only $200.00. The people on the link I supplied are probably just shipping them in and adding their mark-up.

Regards

paulktreg

looks great, but I'm like EllisD, have no real input since it's all above my head.

get with the staff and get this polished up to a finished product (looks good the way it is to me but Praz and wevsspot will be better judge) and tell me and I'll start putting it into the front page (we are going to hold it for a few days while the guys finish a couple more reviews/articles then we'll do them all at once as a 'grand opening' type of thing)

That USB based scope is plenty for power supplies. I believe it's similar to what Jonny used for his reviews. The downside are the probes pictured. Typical Chinese. You will probably want to replace them with something better.

I can get good quality probes at work so thats not a problem.

Regards

Paul

Another thought.

How did you determine 12v1 from 12v2 (did Atrix dedicate P4 connector/PCI-E to one or...)

And what is the actual method Atrix used, 2 independent 12v regulators or 1 shared with current limiters.

Originally posted by Sharp.

Another thought.

How did you determine 12v1 from 12v2 (did Atrix dedicate P4 connector/PCI-E to one or...)

And what is the actual method Atrix used, 2 independent 12v regulators or 1 shared with current limiters.

There is no differentiation between the 12V0(1) and 12V0(2) rails and they have exactly the same connectors on them. I have mentioned in the review that the 12V0 lines come from the same point on the power suply board so they are derived from one regulator with a maximum current available of 29A (15A & 14A).

Regards

paulktreg

Now we need to get Paul a good power supply to test. I've got a spare OCZ GameXStream 700W unit but I'm not sure how much it would cost to get it there and have it returned. Then I'm not sure how much I trust any shipping company to handle my beloved GSX for two trips across the Atlantic.