Sign in to follow this  
pkilway

XP 64 or Vista 64?

10 members have voted

1. 1.

• Windows XP Professional 64
    • Windows Vista Home Premium/Ultimate 64

Ok, with the price of memory, I couldn't help myself. I ran over to Fry's last week and bought another 1GB x 2 OCZ EL DDR PC-3200/DDR400 Dual Channel Platinum Kit ($49.99 after MIR - I paid almost $200 for the same kit 2 years ago!!!).

So the question now is which OS to use to maximize this new RAM.

1) XP is at EOL, so support is limited (I'm assuming that the EOL status applies to both the 32 and 64 versions). I think I actually have a copy of XP Pro 64 laying around at home.

2) Or do I go with Vista 64 Home Premium or Ultimate. I don't have a copy yet, but the wife should be able to pick it up with an educator's discount from her bookstore (it's pretty cheap - but I'm not sure if they have the liscense from MS to sell with the educator's discount).

Currently running XP Pro 32. I have one kit of the RAM in my pc current (not sure what revision it is), and got a matching set sitting in my desk drawer until I figure out which OS would be best.

Thoughts?

Id go for win xp-64. you forgot one option though. AFAIK vista 32-bit will support 4GB ram after Sp1.

Vista 32Bit with SP1 will report correctly the total installed amount of ram. However, it is still limited by the same 32 Bit restriction it has always had. Going to a 64 Bit operating system system with 4GB of ram in and of itself will bring no performance benefits over XP with 2GB of ram. It really comes down to an individual's use of the system.

From Microsoft's Windows Vista SP1 Guides for IT Professionals

With SP1, Windows Vista will report the amount of system memory installed rather than report the amount of system memory available to the OS. Therefore 32-bit systems equipped with 4GB of RAM will report all 4BG in many places throughout the OS, such as the System Control Panel. However, this behavior is dependent on having a compatible BIOS, so not all users may notice this change.

Guest thespin

I assume that you have read about the problems with Vista besides it being slow and a memory hog ?

I have been running Win XP Pro x64 (now SP2) since its debut and it's bulletproof. The only problems I had was a shortage of 64-bit drivers at the beginning - but no more.

The XP OS is very mature and doesn't need a lot of support since very few problems crop up.

I ordered both a desktop and a laptop from Dell recently and specified XP Pro (x32) over Vista.

Use Vista only if you insist on DX10 video support for gaming ...

I've been running Pista 64 for too many months now and even after SP1 it still blows my mind.... just how crap it is!

It runs slower than my great great grandmother.

It takes longer to boot up than a multiple orgasm. (Not the grandmother's)

and it crahes using IE7 at least once a day.

Re-install after re-install, and component change after component change it still won't toe the line.

Going back to XP myself, it wasn't perfect but it was better than Pista.

neither. I'd get OSX if I wanted a 64 bit OS.

vista x64 is a total joke. in addition to the driver issue, the way t handles audio is a total clusterxxxx. they showed the new way to manufacturers late, so they all decided to use the old way, which is only supported through ghetto emulation.

so for a lot of professional applications, vista x64 has worse latency and performance tha a 7 year old OS.

OSX is about as useful as Linux to me, actually Linux does more for me it just isn't as user friendly.

Ok then, I just might sell my second OCZ Platinum 2 x 1Gb kit to my parents to upgrade their 939 machine and stay with XP until MS launches their new OS (what's it called and isn't it 2 years away from launch?)