Sign in to follow this  
Guest terminator_merged

Airflow Deflector Mod

Guest terminator

Following carrying out 'The PSU Mod' to RE-reverse the PSU, in the Nine-Hundred, one of the Guys, on the forum had an idea, it may cause 'dead spots' (airflow wise), at the bottom of the case.

000_0024.jpg

To eliminate this, the possibility of 'eddy' currents, and to channel the air, directly from the bottom drivecage towards the Graphics card, I decided to make an : Air Deflector.

First, I made a cardboard template, The odd shape is to 'clear' the PSU cable hole, and a couple of cable ties :

101_0061.jpg

Luckily, I had some 3mm Aluminium :

101_0062.jpg

Fitted. (with a strip of Weatherseal, between it and the PSU, to prevent 'rattle').

000_0008.jpg

and Side view:

000_0009.jpg

Side fan 'Blanking Plate' Mod :

Because I was going to be using the Thermalright Ultra mounted vertically, I wouldn't be able to fit a Side 120mm fan.

I didn't fancy the idea of most of my two front 120's air, escaping out of the hole.

You Can buy a plain (windowless) side panel from: Antec ....... but, Hey! we're trying to save a bit of money here, right ?

I got a piece of 3mm plywood, cut it to size, sprayed it: Satin Matt Black (should've used 'primer', first ! Doh) :

101_0064.jpg

Added some 'weatherseal'/draught excluder, for a more airtight fit :

101_0065.jpg

Push fitted to side panel, using existing 'pins and tabs' :

101_0066.jpg

Exterior view :

101_0067.jpg

Cheers

terminator