Sign in to follow this  
gtrdude485

GPU Roundup/Advice

I'm a little unclear as to which GPU's rank where in the current market. So I want to get a ranking of where each lies. I am looking to buy a new card in the next couple of weeks or so. Nothing too extravagant; bang for the buck. I've heard different things about the 8800GTS 320 and the 9600GT. This is what I'm looking at:

1. EVGA 8800GTS 320

2. EVGA 8600GTS 512

3. MSI 9600GT 512

4. XFX 9600GT 512

If anyone else has other suggestions I'm open. Looking for something that will last and can do a decent OC; not looking to spend more than $200. Mostly play RPG games due to the lack of power from my current card...

Side note: can you really a difference between 112 and 64 stream processors to warrant spending more $? (8800GT vs 9600GT)

there are several very good cards worth considering. of the list you made id go for the xfx 9600, im sure the msi is great as well though.

the 8600 is something i always considered good for nothing. its too slow for gaming, too expensive for anything else seeing how it compares to 8500's or 3750 radeon's.

the 8800GTS 320 is an old card that i wouldnt go for, there are better deals

Nvidia:

8800GTS (G90 core, 512 mb)

8800GT

Radeon:

the 9800gtx and gx2 also are for sale....but im not sure they are worth the money or how good they are. i know they are faster then the cars i mentioned, but i did hear stuff about driver problems and such

I think I would remove the 8600 from the list and replace it with a 8800GT and then choose any of the 4 cards based on price alone, they all rock even the "old" 8800GTS which is an awesome card make no mistake, then out of those 4 it would (for me) all come down to price.

If you go eVGA then you can always step up to another card, with XFX you only get one choice. I will be going eVGA from now on, it just makes the most sense.

So with either the 8800GTS, 8800GT or 9600GT your going to see huge increases in games, if money were no object for me I would get the 8800GT. But trust me, you will be very pleased with any of those cards coming from your 6800GT which was a fine little card in its day too.

GL bro

Well I did some price comparing and 9600GT and 8800GT are about the same price. The only thing I noted that was different from the newegg description is 112 (8800GT) vs 64 (9600GT) shaders. Right now I only play on 1280x1024 19" LCD so I know this will be overkill but cards are relatively cheap from what I spent on my 6800 back in the day. So i guess my question has morphed to:

1. Which will OC better

2. Do the shaders matter?

3. Which will be better if I upgrade to a widescreen with a higher res?

for less than $200 I'm going to highly suggest an 8800GT. I see them everywhere for $179-ish. They have 512MB of memory, 65nm process, and outperform everything but the 8800GTX (and I guess the new 9800GTX2 or whatever it is). They overclock well also.

When I go to upgrade my gpu, it is going to be an 8800GT (and i have an 8800GTS 320MB right now)

1. 8800GT overclocks better I'm sure (even if it doesn't it still is the better card)

2. shaders matter...the 8800GT is the best of the sub-$200 bunch

3. neither will be better for widescreen because widescreen has zero to do with it...the resolution is what has to do with performance. 1600x1200 on a regular CRT monitor is the same as 1680x1050 widescreen. 1440x900 is the same as 1280x1024, etc etc. Personally I would get the 8800GT 512MB and move up to a 20-22" widescreen (ie: one that does 1680x1050).

however I'm still using a Gateway VX920 as my main monitor (ie it's a Mistubishi Diamondtron CRT that does up to 1600x1200 and kicks major butt for gaming compared to LCD's)

Well 8800GT it is I guess. A couple more last ?'s (i hope);

1. I've read the cards with the single slot coolers run pretty hot... Will I need an aftermarket cooler?

2. I've also read the cards are 1/4" larger then the 6800GT (card I have now). Am I going to need to do a case mod to fit this guy in?

3. Do I need to update the card's BIOS to work with PCIex 1.0 on my mobo?

Thanks for everyone's input

1: unless you are going to overclock it itll do fine witht he stock cooler. remember to use Ntune to put the cooler at max 60% capacity though. the last 40% will hardly make any difference temperature wise, but will make it sound like a jet-fighter

2: ive never heard of people having trouble fitting a 8800GT in a miditower. maybe in a smaller case it would give problems....i didnt see the case you use in your sig, unless its somethign i have never heard off.

3: Nope. Mine is in a PCI-E 1 slot as well, and itll work just perfect :)

The last 40% makes quite a difference on mine bro, I have it at 100% all the time

60% gives me temps of 79C load while 100% gives me temps of 71C load, thats a lot in my book. A little fan noise never bothered me though, if your easily distracted by it then these cards can handle quite a high temp, but you can have the fan ramp up in speed while under load by using Riva tuner 2.08.

If your HDD's are right behind the G/card you may have to raise them to the next slot or just put the offending one in your 5.25 bay if you don't have the room in your 3.5 bay. The card will nearly touch the HDD's but its the power cable that is the offending part, and you don't want to bend that or it could mess with the card

i do suggest a good aftermarket cooler...but that's for just about any video card that comes with only a single-slot cooler (I prefer the Arctic Silencers etc)

card will fit no problem...you won't need a case mod that I'm aware of as even my 8800GTS 320 fits into an mATX HTPC case no problem

PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible so no flashing or anything required

Sign in to follow this