Sign in to follow this  
greatscott68

How can I set up RAID on XP without a floppy drive...

Hi guys - I have a buddy who wants to do a fresh install with XP Performance, and wants to run a RAID0 set. He doesn't have a floppy port on his mobo - is there a way of setting up his RAID set without slipstreaming an XP disc? USB floppy drive, maybe? His mobo is a Dell 0SJ030 - chipset is I945P?

Thanx in advance, guys!

I tried using USB floppy and didn't have any luck.

Only other way is the slipstream disc method.

And especially with a dell product I don't think you have any other choices, I am afraid.

I am unsure if you are able to use anything but a floppy when you hit F6 during install. But as i remember, a floppy must be used. Someone will definetly tell me if im wrong though.

Why is slipstreaming the RAID drivers onto the XP cd via nlite not an option? I believe its the easiest solution.

Thanx for the replies, fellas. I've never slipstreamed a disc before, and was more than open to walking through the process with him (it can't be that hard), over the phone (I'm in WA - he's in FL) - but he's not that tech savvy. That was my first idea, because I didn't think there was another way, when it comes to XP. We got a couple Google hits that suggested a USB floppy, but nothing definite. He got hopeful, and took off to Wal-Mart, to pick one up, figuring he could just return it if it didn't work. A Dell open chat tech told him it "should" work (after I posted here), but we all know how sharp thopse Dell guys can be...

Thanx for the assist - I'll see if anybody else chimes in with another take :)

You can also mount a FDD outside the case (tempoary). Put ur mobo cd into ur disk drive, copy the sata drivers then install windows and use the floppy for ur sata drivers, after windows install just remove the FDD. This is how i did it for my computer. I also tried the usb option with no luck, i think it only works with vista.

Good luck.

Edit: sorry forget my ramblings above, i just noticed you said ur friends mobo does not have a floppy port. ;)

Depends on the chipset...

I know my 7050-M2 does raid from the bios...no floppy needed...;)

Guest SuppA-SnipA

slipstream with nlite, easiest thing ever, Vlite for vista

Far and away the easiest solution is as has been suggested previously, slipstreaming with nlite or vlite.

Just slipsteam the CD for him and send it via your favorite carrier.

I've used the USB floppy method before and it has been hit or miss depending on the chipset and OS.

my commando cd brought raid drivers from a bootable driver cd. this also included the setup. maybe you can find something likewise for your mobo?

I just noticed this...but since it's a Dell motherboard which is probably and Intel brand motherboard....

are you are it even supports Raid...most Dell brand boards are very limited in options...

I've used the USB floppy method before and it has been hit or miss depending on the chipset and OS.

same thing seems to hold true for the flash drives.

If you google, You'll come up with a list of 4 or 5 USB floppy drives that will work... others are hit or miss as others said. It's not worth the $50 you'll spend getting one of those, just slipstream a disc... a little prep work will go a long way :-)