Sign in to follow this  
Praz

Beware Of High VTT With 45nm Processors

The link says it all. And before someone says the death of one processor doesn't confirm anything I'll just add this little bit. Although Gary doesn't say so in the blog, engineers at Intel confirmed the death of the CPU was because of the amount of VTT used.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=428

Ouch. I couldnt imagine frying a $1000+ CPU. When i do end up getting one this will be in the front of my mind. Thanks.

VTT is the termination voltage for the bus between the MCH and CPU.

all 3 links to read?

Yep :)

The silly thing is though, when you look at the start VTT in the bios at 1.1v when a 45nm cpu is installed. It seems obvious, to me, that shoving 1.4v+ through it is plain stupid. That's why i cringe when i see peeps posting 1.3v+, when they are running E8500's and E8400's. I don't think that there are that many peeps around running clocks as high as mine on a 24/7 basis, yet the highest VTT voltage i have used is 1.17v. With 45nm cpu's, high VTT simply does not make the clock more stable. In fact with both E8500's i have had, anything over 1.17v has made the clock Unstable.

Thanks for info. It has allowed me to increase core speed from 4.4 GHZ to 4.6 GHz and maintain stability. However my results on 3DMark05 dropped a thousand points from 4.4 ghz to 4.6 ghz. I need to figure this out. I noticed that instability increases with high Vcore at lower OC.

I used 10.5 multi with 420 base freq, now it works beautifully.