Sign in to follow this  
Guest Darien_merged

DFI NF4 Opty 165 GGG -DEAD - HELP!!

Guest Darien

WOW!

Man.. it's been dead for days... my DFI NF4 expert is on the way I take the mobo out.. tell her I still love her... :rolleyes:hold her for a little bit, talk about how much I'll miss her and all the good times we had... then I set her on a piece of paper, plug in a crappy psu, i stick of ram, no video card, no Heat sink, not even all the extra power connectors...

and the damn thing starts right up :confused:

i don't get it... i mean i'm stoked. :nod: I just wish it would have happened before I order my new mobo... I think she just got jealous when I told her a newer, hotter, younger model was on her way:D

seriously... it's odd I didn't even clean it off... I just inspected it VERY close.. I couldn't find anything wrong with it... rubbed it with my fingers maybe... but that was it...

just the ol' story of taking her out of the case, pulling her apart and slapping her back together and then it works...

so many times just doing that fixes problems.. well now I'm off to piece her back together and see if I can get her to POST

Guest Darien

Dirty Bugger!:mad:

False alarm.. I had the darn board starting up.. but not POST'ing last night... so I set to work on it today... still able to get the thing to turn over.. but no beeps... but this was on an old crappy 20-pin PSU..

so I set her up in the case, CPU with HSF, 1 stick RAM, basic video card... turn over a couple times but wouldn't fully start.. then totally dead again...

I take it out... try starting it out of the case again... totally dead:confused: WTH man! back to square one!

reading this my first guess would be something shorting out the back of the motherboard, but it was fine as far as I could tell... and if that was all it was it should have started up once it was out of the board.

one thing I did notice was, that one time when it started up the LED by the RAM wasn't lit up until I hit the power button... should the LED by the RAM be lit up once the PSU is turn on, i.e. before I hit the power button on the mobo... of should that LED by the RAM only be lit up after I have started up the computer..

any input would be most helpful... TIA

P.S. I have tested with different PSU's and checked the PSU independently.

The amber light by the DIMM slots should only be lit if the motherboard is powered on. Otherwise it should be off. Even if the power power supply is turned on. If you want to keep trying to revive her, you could remove everything once again and give both the front and the back of the board a gentle cleaning with a clean toothbrush and some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Use a can of dust-off to dry and complete the cleaning process. Let the board thoroughly dry out and try powering her up outside the case again. Then start adding your periphials until you get a minimal hardware build done outside the case and the board seems to be working. If you can get that far, you can try sticking her back in the case and see if she'll boot up or not.

Either way, you've still got a real nice board on the way.

Keep us posted.

I would say basic install on the bench! No case etc. and I would also test your PSU! 520W for an OC'ed dual core and 2 GPU's is a little too much in my opinion. I know you will tell me "it worked fine all this time" Yeah but it doesn’t any more so check that PSU out! :) Other than in the next two weeks I'll be selling my volt modded 8800GT which runs like crazy (on air) and would easily outpace both of your 7800GTX's! Give me a PM is you are interested!

did you clean it at all yet? alcohol with no perfume can be poured across the trouble spot and hopefully flush the junk out that got spilled. just make sure to not have it plugged in this time:angel:

@Darien, hi bud long time no speak :) Have you given Neo's green cleaning stuff a go with the mobo ?

Guest Darien
@Darien, hi bud long time no speak :) Have you given Neo's green cleaning stuff a go with the mobo ?

Sup brother... I been lurking now and again... keeping tabs on ya when I stop by.. glad to see you're still keeping it real with those OCDB entries... damn! :eek:

Actually.. I got my 'expert' a few days ago... and I expected it to be a spoiled litle bee-Yutch like most DFI's are... and this one was no exception.. it took over a day to get it to post... and I got her up and running...... sort of:mad: but I'll post 'bout that in another thread...

I still have my SLI-DR.. it's just been sitting on the side lines doing a 1024 hour CMOS clear:sweat: anyhow... I was thinking about trying again to get her up and running... I can do the simple green and or alcohol bath... and try again if she doesn't start up... we'll see how it goes..

I think alcohol + tooth brush then Dust Off 'may' work... but if not I'll just RMA it to DFI and see what they say.

i am running with the ocz 520adj unit, and even though it is SLI certified, two 7800's plus the rest may well have degraded the PS, mine beeps at me once and awhile, i know it is at the edge and i am running only a single x1950xtx.

i think it still may be a PS problem....my apologies if you already tried another approved PS....

laterzzzz....

Guest Darien
i am running with the ocz 520adj unit, and even though it is SLI certified, two 7800's plus the rest may well have degraded the PS, mine beeps at me once and awhile, i know it is at the edge and i am running only a single x1950xtx.

i think it still may be a PS problem....my apologies if you already tried another approved PS....

laterzzzz....

I need to update my sig... I'm using a OCZ 600... dont' matter though... I took both of the 7800 gtx's out.. and ALL peripherials.... just a chip, 1 stick of RAM, and a low power video card.... and nothing... dead as a door nail.. and I already tested the PSU independently and tried 2 different PSU's

Guest Darien
I need to update my sig... I'm using a OCZ 600... dont' matter though... I took both of the 7800 gtx's out.. and ALL peripherials.... just a chip, 1 stick of RAM, and a low power video card.... and nothing... dead as a door nail.. and I already tested the PSU independently and tried 2 different PSU's

I sent this off to DFI almost 2 weeks ago for RMA... just waiting to hear back from them :spam: