Sign in to follow this  
momoceio

Ultra Suing Competitors

lol and the patent isn't even for modular PSUs... it's for putting modular PSUs in consumer machines... so when I put my corsair in my machine myself, I broke patent laws... come sue me ultra!

Whoever wrote that at Engadget is either out of his mind or has never seen the patent. It specifically covers modular type power supplies. Matter of fact when Antec came out with the NeoPower series of power supplies they received a patent for the modular configuration which Ultra was successful in getting reversed because they already held the patent. One short paragraph from the patent.

Referring now to a brief description of a number of embodiments of the present invention, it is noted that one of these embodiments relates to a computer power supply including at least one electrical socket which is electrically coupled to a DC source by way of an electrically conductive path which includes no wires disposed exteriorly of the housing of the power supply. This socket may be accessible from the exterior of the power supply housing to permit the physical and electrical connection of the socket to a plug of a removable cable for providing DC power to any desired component of a computer. The socket and plug may be of any desired form factor and may include any number and configuration of electrical terminals as required for making connections to a given component disposed within the computer.

And on a different subject some of the current lineup of Ultra power supplies are as good of quality as anything on the market.

Just to throw another spanner in the works. Hiper (a British company), had Modular psu's in the market place years before Ultra or Antec, and they have a UK patent on them as well. Like a lot of UK company's though, i doubt they lodged a worldwide patent. I'm saying this because it is highly likely that Ultra "stole" the idea from Hiper in the first place.

Very few things in life in fair and this is just another example. In the end all that is going top matter is who holds the patent and how encompassing it is interpreted by the courts.