Sign in to follow this  
snugglealufacus

Western Digital Raptor vs. new 640GB

So I have read around that the new 640GB hard drives that Western Digital has put out are similar in speed to their Raptors due to having only 2 platters. Can anyone verify this? I was really considering running a RAID-0 with 2 150GB Raptors, but if i can get 2 640GB and RAID them for the same price as the Raptors and with the same performance, why not? They would also be quieter than a 10k drive.

Holy crap, it is raining like hell outside.

So I have read around that the new 640GB hard drives that Western Digital has put out are similar in speed to their Raptors due to having only 2 platters. Can anyone verify this? I was really considering running a RAID-0 with 2 150GB Raptors, but if i can get 2 640GB and RAID them for the same price as the Raptors and with the same performance, why not? They would also be quieter than a 10k drive.

Holy crap, it is raining like hell outside.

Maybe later revisions of this drive will improve the performance, but when I tested it against my F1, it didn't perform as well. Close, but not quite.

I can't compare directly to a single Raptor, as mine are in RAID, but I have read several places that the Raptors are falling behind the game simply due to the lack of density.

If you are a looking for a single drive with the best possible performance and maximum storage capacity, shoot for the Samsung Spinpoint F1.

Cheers

well I got a 74gig Sata 1 raptor and this new 640gig is way faster...here is my HD-Tach bench....

atto_raptor_(Custom).JPG

raptor_hdtach.JPG

Here's the 640GB 93% filled up and could use a defrag.

ATTO_640.JPG

HD_Tach_640.JPG

Access times are obviously much slower, but I consider the 640GB drive more of a storage or backup drive so it performs great for that purpose.

We could probably use some screenshots from one of the newer Raptors to compare since Doc's is one of the earlier models.

BTW a replacement for the Raptor (the VolociRaptor) is just around the corner, they are ironing out the last firmware quirks now. ;)