DFI Expert CANNOT boot.

n1ce_hat,

Get TMods CD and run the HDD utility for disk errors. Check or replace the IDE cables. It would not hurt to do a memtest too.

Also when was the last time you replace the CMOS battery? Replace it.

Tasr has good suggestions. I'd definitely memtest and replace the cables.

Memtest will give you an idea if the computer is playing nicely with your current settings. If it is unstable while you are installing, you run the risk of something not being installed correctly.

One question I must ask is what warranted taking it out of the case? Were you upgrading hardware? If the problems with the harddrives are motherboard related, I find it difficult to think that both the IDE and SATA controllers went out at the same time. It is also equally odd that the cables would have done the same thing.

Are your results the same with using different SATA ports? One controller or the other?

Have you had problems with your DVD/CD drive? This could be a theoretical source of trouble when installing an operating system. Is it IDE or SATA? If SATA, try an IDE drive. I've always played it safe and resorted to using IDE, even if I have a SATA burner installed.

Have you tried a different CD/DVD for install (say a linux distribution)?

More random questions on the way. Are you putting together the rig with the bare minimum outside the case? 1 stick of memory, graphics card, cpu/heatsink, all power connectors plugged in, PS2 keyboard, etc. Is it on top of some non-conductive surface?

• 2 weeks later...

Tried EVERYTHING, nothing was working. I tried all of your suggestions at the same time, and it worked!

- Took the mobo out of the case and lied it on syrofoam to test

- Updated BIOS

- reset all BIOS settings

- cable was not the issue but i changed it anyway

somehow something made it work and it works like a champ now. awesome possum i can now get back to work!

THX for your suggestions!

Could a faulty USB device cause my mobo to not boot?

Yes. It may not be a faulty device, but it may be fouling the boot order of your bootable devices. Especially if you have a HD device such as an IPOD plugged in sometimes and sometimes not. Thumbdrives can also screw-up boot order and make a board seemingly not boot properly.

Remove all usb devices and slowly add them back in one at a time to determine which is the problem child.