Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blooz1_merged

USA Falling Behind in Broadband?

yep...sad

they've been working on Fiber optics here for 5 years and still not many have it...sucks...I've been waiting a long time for it

The 100 MBit for $35 is a little exaggeration, NTT charges $54 for the fiber line, called BFLET and if you don't read kanji, or speak Japanese, it's useless without paying another $20+ for an ISP that translates things for you... at least thats how it is here on Okinawa Island, and from what I can see at the NTT website for the rest of Japan. but still, it's a lot better than whats avail for a reasonable price stateside.

I sure wish they'd offer faster, more symmetrical broadband packages around here at reasonable prices. We're paying ~$43/mo for 4Mb/384Kb

I pay $55/mo for 30000/9500 and can download 330 gB/day or upload 600 gigs a week and verizon never ..

The US kicks butt. The UK is terrible for broadband. It's true. Who the heck are they to be complaining? All those 10 mbps connections I see always have strings attached, like contacting users when they actually use it or 60 gig caps. Some even have 10 gig caps. DIALUP'S BETTER! I'd rather have 768/128 in the sticks in the US than 10 mbps with a 60 gig cap!

Moderator note...we do NOT allow the "F" word here in the forums...please refrain from posting it again...bypassing the censor is a big no no and YOU know this...this will be your only warning...thanks

Its not all bad in the UK I get 4MB down for £25/mo no cap. You do get your speed temporarily limited if you use the full speed for long durations during peak times, which is where netlimiter comes in handy. I will be getting a free 10MB upgrade this summer hopefully.

Oh, I forgot to mention that $54 for 100/whatever comes with VOIP phone as well... not bad rates either.... ~5 yen a minute to the states, ~6 yen to Germany and england... don't call anywhere else so I don't know...

it's running slower today, and this is what I get... when they first hooked it up it pegged the little speedometer to the top on upload and download...

256468835.png

I would GLADLY pay $99 for something like Verizon's FIOS 15/15 service...better than the $59 I already pay for 4/400k right now...

suposedly Verizon is saying the FIOS will be the same price and the 3MB DSL package...They are adverising 20MB/1MB service for 29.99 a month when it gets hooked up...not sure if it will stay at that but I am going to be all over it like....well you know