Sign in to follow this  
AnUnknownSource

Hard Drive Soup

So, I was mega careful when I left Germany in October to pack my computer up myself, I dis-assembled it, put everything in it's own padded box, and set it aside from the rest of my household goods ( to be shipped as "pro-items" so they didn't go against my weight allowance, which they did anyway, movers didn't mark it...) I was extra careful with my 6 hard drives, which were wrapped in foam, boxed, wrapped in foam again and boxed again. Nice and cozy and safe. While most of my stuff went into plastic rubbermaid bins, my computer stuff didn't because it was boxed up already...

I got my household goods this week, and most of the boxes were wet. Having been almost 6 months since I've seen any of it, I wasn't worried because I knew it was all in rubbermaid bins, that is until I saw this:

water_damage_5.jpg

this is what came out:

Water_Damage_002.jpg

It looked like they dumped this crate in the water and put it back on the truck and let it sit... thank god all my clothes and most of my computer gear was in plastic bins... and somehow the rest of the computer boxes made it with just a little surface moisture, but all plastic bins were wrapped in cardboard, and it was all soaked and moldy...

The carpeted boxes in the background are my 6x9 boxes, which I'm not too worried about, since they sound like butt in the boxes, they're better free-air. That is if the speakers aren't damaged...

Why did all the junk I have make it here ok and the one thing that is truly irreplaceable get damaged? so much for safeguarding my data with a RAID array...

I get full replacement value for all the damaged items, but I can't replace all that data...

who knows, maybe if I give it a week to dry out I'll only have lost one drive and I can re-build my array...

...I full replacement value for all the damaged items, but I can't replace all that data...

I take it that means you DID get money for the damaged items? Man that really blows, I'd be so pissed.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

if i'd have the option to carry on the hard drives, i would...best of luck

Man that really sux that is why i hate shipping things. But it is a necessary evil. My question is why can they not just ship it like they would ship there own prized possessions. Infuriates me. Sorry and i hope it works out for you. And there is hope when i had my fire my hard drives survived with water being sprayed all over them. I let them dry for a couple of days. They are all still running till this day.