Sign in to follow this  
red930

Building my computer

As some of you may have noticed, i have an new sig^^

Meaning i am working on a new machine ;)

Now dont get all exited, im not all that good ;D

Anyway before even thinking about a database entry clocking i needed to built it first and today my long

expected cooler arrived.

So i made some pictures thought you might enjoy

Since i dont have an proper lab i use the livingroom...

during the actual building of the machine, i had some hick-ups but after justing the ram timings vcore and the mutliplier im on 3.2 Ghz (cpu) and a fsb of 400

I run Othos a couple of hours and then go at it again, just need some stability before i move ;)

Build just done

Yess!

Very nice Kranky, that setup should be quite fun.

One thing i noticed though, is that you may want to rotate your cpu cooler 90 degrees CCW so it exhausts out the back instead of upwards. Would help keep things cooler. :)

+Very interesting Kranky.

I like the positioning if the Zalman CNPS9700LED from Bottom to top.

I've been thinking about the same position in my Antec 900s.

Most use a fan in front and out the rear position.

You are 90 degrees off that.

If you do have a chance to reposition it 90 degrees I'd love to see if there is any effect on chipset or PWMIC temps (even though it is not mounted).

Good luck with the new rig.

You look good in it. :)

I originally had my fan in the same position and thought it should really exhaust out the back so I changed it. Can't remember the exact temperatures but there was no difference. I would change its position however if, like mine, the power supply intake is directly above as it must increase the temperature of the power supply.

Regards

Paul

I tried mine both ways on the AM2 rig and it was better out the back...as out the back put the exhaust of the Heatsink right under the PSU fan and it worked like 2c cooler...

but do what ever room lets you do...;)

Well I am following you guys but I was referring to pointing the fan up in a case like the Antec 900 (200mm top exhaust) or a similar case with a huge mofo blowhole.

has anyone done (fan at bottom blowing through top) on their case?

hot air rising, largest fan, etc, etc.

hmm, I may need to experiment a bit.

Sorry Kranky, forgot to ask, what kind of case is it going into?

There still remains one primary problem with Kranky's current heatsink orientation. The fan is drawing intake air from near the backside of the video card. There is quite a bit of heat that rises from the back of the video card. Hot air is lighter than cool air so it rises (right into the heatsink). So even if you have an Antec 900 case, you're still drawing hot air rising up from the video card directly into the heatsink.

If Kranky rotates the heatsink 90 degrees, that problem is eliminated. Plus she creates some collateral airflow from the heatsink fins to the backside of her video card, possibly contributing to a slightly cooler running video card in the process.

And i had to take it apart...

Install of windows went fine however when i did the bois and ran memtest, wich it passed, the system reboots right?

Took this system 3 times to actually boot to windows.

Most times i had my dvd online, but sometimes it just wasnt there and twice i just freaked due to a long beep. And it wasnt the Graphics, made sure of that.

Been talking to travis and repr alot, just coudnt figure out where it came from.

At some point i had to look in the case again, had it built in the case , and noticed the bracket, if you can call it that, off the battery was loose, as in hardly thoughing the mobo with the pin that connects the battery to the mobo.

So last night i took it all apart and made it rready for RMA.

Fun fun fun...

So ill be sending it back to Alternate on monday and wait ....

I whish i didnt have those weird things happening to me but on the other hand, when i comes back ill be doing the fan differntly:)

Thanks for the tip.

There still remains one primary problem with Kranky's current heatsink orientation. The fan is drawing intake air from near the backside of the video card. There is quite a bit of heat that rises from the back of the video card. Hot air is lighter than cool air so it rises (right into the heatsink). So even if you have an Antec 900 case, you're still drawing hot air rising up from the video card directly into the heatsink.

Yes, yes, I am following you wevsspot.

I guess I am wondering if that may be better position in an Antec 900.

May get the hot air off the vid card and the CPU out faster.?

Good luck with the new board KOL.:)