Sign in to follow this  
TheParadigm

[Quick] Opteron fan connector

So. New shiny opteron in. I noticed the fan has a 4-pin fan connector. Same colored/placed wires as the 3000+ fan, plus a fourth yellow one.

Unfortunately, there's a transistor blocking the CPU fan header. using a second fan header, the fan doesn't spin past power on. I've a questions:

What is the yellow wire for?

Where should I plug it in instead?

Is the non-spinning because the chip is cold? Or is the chip going to fry itself if I don't setup the fan temp controls properly?

Well, the supplemental fan connector probably only spins in relation to the system temp. Depending on the BIOS, it may be assignable to the CPU temperature, otherwise it might not kick on until the board warms up more.

Not completely sure of the fourth wire, presumably some kind of RPM sensor.

the red, black and yellow wires are the power, ground and RPM

the other wire is for the quiet fan operation....

Hehe,

2 for power, red and black is for 12 V usually.

yellow is for rpm readings.

The last is for more accurate fan control.

cool n quiet works with only 3 pins aswell, but optimal on 4. (2.0)

If you don't mind taking the plug off the old fan, that is what I have done. Or you can take out the wires out and cut the extra hole off the new one. To get the wires out, you push a very tool in to release clip and pull the wire and tool at the same time. If it does not come out with ease, haven't got it to release or your tool is to big. I use jewelery screw driver.

There is a good post in the forum on wiring, but I just copy from the old fan plug.

The fourth wire on the 4-pin fans is to allow PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) control of the fan; but 4-pin fans are designed and keyed to be pin compatible with 3-pin headers.

In your case it the 2 options I'd suggest are to either a) replace the 4-pin housing with a 3-pin housing and leave the 4th pin disconnected or B) remove the 4th pin from the housing and file down the housing to accomodate the capacitor that's in the way.