Best 64-bit OS?

alexfort93

Which OS (Vista or XP) is best for 64-bit? I want to try it out on my MacBook, and I'm going to get 4GBs of RAM so I want it to be able to see them all.

I'm running XP X64 and I like it a lot; the only thing to keep in mind is that peripheral driver support may be somewhat limited.

I personally would not run any flavor of vista as a primary OS.

Of the two, Vista 64-bit, no question.

There are situations where my first choice of OS would be XP 32-bit, Vista 32-bit, or Vista 64-bit, but never XP x64. I ran it on my main desktop rig for a few months, and it was a constant struggle to get my hardware/software all working for it, switching to Vista (as a Windows OS, 64-bit Linux OS's have been working beatifully for years) was a huge relief.

but never XP x64. I ran it on my main desktop rig for a few months, and it was a constant struggle to get my hardware/software all working for it

Must've been some proprietary apps and HP printers/scanners. HP has refused to provide drivers for XP X64

The only thing I can't run in XP X64 is the TI-connect software for my graphing calculator; my network laser printer had 64-bit drivers available.

Must've been some proprietary apps and HP printers/scanners. HP has refused to provide drivers for XP X64

The only thing I can't run in XP X64 is the TI-connect software for my graphing calculator; my network laser printer had 64-bit drivers available.

Some of the non-working software was proprietary, some was open source. Regardless of the nature of the software, I use the software that works best for my needs, and an OS loses a lot of use to me if it can't run the software that best suites my purposes.

From the top of my head, hardware of mine that didn't work nicely with xp x64 (other than my hp printer, and my ti-89): Audigy 2 ZS, Hauppauge HVR-950, iaudio 7, Panasonic voice recorder, Linksys usb network adaptor, Logitech Harmony remote, nvidia network adaptor.

I would use XP-64 over Vista 64 anytime...but prefer XP-32bit above all...

I would NOT buy either copy of 64bit....if you have it use it...but if you have to coin up for it dont bother....

I used XP-64 for about 2 years and I had no issues with it at all...but I dont print from here either...;)

Printing really isn't a problem, I mean I could always just go into Mac OS X and print. But I just want to make sure I will have drivers available for my components. The only reason I want Windows is to play a couple games. I figured 64-bit so I can use all of the RAM.

Printing really isn't a problem, I mean I could always just go into Mac OS X and print. But I just want to make sure I will have drivers available for my components. The only reason I want Windows is to play a couple games. I figured 64-bit so I can use all of the RAM.

No reason to switch then as I don't believe there is any game that require 4 gigs of memory yet.

That said, I always install XP x64 except for on my new computer, which I want to play some older games on.