Sign in to follow this  
RHKCommander959

dual dfi eggs

Here is a shot of my DFI CFX3200 UT CF/G Socket 939 motherboard.

. Some mysterious grease is on the sides of the ULI chip. Some people have problems with this controller, maybe it has to do with the grease, poor thermal paste, and/or poor heatsink?

1.jpg

A close-up of the heatsink: (sorry for the bad focus... I'm new to the camera )

2.jpg

Uli cleaned up, the thermal paste was poor quality:

3.jpg

I decided to do a mod. I own two of these motherboards, but one is malfunctioning. On top is the stock DFI southbridge cooler, on bottom, a vantec cooler. I wanted to do the vantec, but didn't need to waste it's copper'y goodness. I'll save it for a greater purpose. Also a little Eye-spy action here that I am too lazy to edit out. reminiscent of the foot-shot

4.jpg

What's this? Your not in the right spot.... Or are you?!

Modded the stock DFI heatsink to fit into the ULI's area. i had to cut the holes out to make the mounting places long enough for the holes. they are a few millimeters wider than the southbridge's.

5.jpg

Et voila! my pwnage!

6.jpg

7.jpg

hope you enjoy :D

Are those SATA ports actually blocked by the cooler is it just the angle you took the pics from?

BTW you have to resize those pics or else they are gone.

BTW2:

Carpet is about the worst thing you can lay your mobo on, any movement can create static electricity which might kill your mobo instantly or reduce it's lifespan dramatically. Check here for more info about ESD.

Are those SATA ports actually blocked by the cooler is it just the angle you took the pics from?

It looks like they've been blocked to me

Also a little Eye-spy action here that I am too lazy to edit out. reminiscent of the foot-shot

Are you referring to my pic :P

hehe yes. i'll fix the pics sorry. i didnt think it mattered since it was out-sourced. oopsis.

i know esd can damage it, but imo it's a damaged board. cold boot bug. i had anti static bags literally next to the board when i did this:tooth:. I should be more careful though probably... I'll keep it in mind. Thanks! :D

images fixed. rules re-read. should be ok-dokey?

--

yes two of them are, as well as the usb almost, but it does work. i need to do a little sanding to get clearance for the satas:sweat:

no problemo, sorry for the goof up.

hehe i just realized why i didnt finish sanding that 2nd egg.. i forgot i dont use the onboard sata, i use a sata card :angel:

i'll fix it so that there's no blockage, and post my results tonight. usb isnt actually blocked but i'll clear that side a little as well:tooth:

-----

and i looked again, the angle of the picture makes it look worse than it is. the overhang is about a millimeter or less maybe