Sign in to follow this  
ReelFiles

WD Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 16MB SATAII [$109.99 + Free Shipp

Well, well, couldn't find it on the "deals" pages and did a search. It popped up at $109.99, free shipping (4/21/08)!! So I jumped on this baby!! I smell an upgraded model coming like an increase in cache, or an "almost" 1TB drive, or perhaps some competition from a new Spinpoint...but at this price I couldn't pass it up. If it works out, I'm ordering more.

That's great man, let us know how you like it. You might wanna keep an eye on this thread as well. I am hoping somebody will throw up some comparable benchmarks.

The 750GB version doesn't use the same density platters as the 640GB, so it won't be as fast or quiet. It really matters what your needs are; ie storage capacity vs speed. If this is going to be the only drive in the system I would go for the 640. But if this is going to be purely storage, I'd get the 750. That is of course if they are the same price.

I'm still curious as to whether it will make a difference if I got the 640GB vs. the 750GB, but its going into an enclosure, so will that slow it down?

Sign in to follow this