PCI Express Slots Dead?

I had already posted earlier about a problem I've got w/the top gfx slot not working, now the bottom slot has quit working, currently using a pci gfx card I use for trouble shooting.

With the 7900gto in either slot the led lights count down to 1 light then I get a long beep and the last light goes out and I can hear windows booting up w/no display.

I already installed the 7900gto in another mb and it works fine, I've tested the psu w/DMM under load (running latest OCCT) and it has minimal fluctuation well within accepted limits.

I also tried another newer 500w Antec psu w/same results, tried booting w/no gfx card and then reinserting.

Unless someone has something else to try I'm going to say it's the MB, I don't jump to conclusions and start blaming MB's right off the bat, but in this case I've exhausted other possibilities.

The MB should still be under warranty, only 2yrs old

I've seen reports of the PCIe lane going dead, so I certainly wouldn't rule that out. Since you have tested the video card in another board and it works fine, as well as tested with two different power supplies, I would have to agree that it's time for an RMA on the motherboard.

That stinks and I'm sorry. Hopefully you'll get a good turn around time.

Just to put the final nail in the coffin, have you tried a different video card (other than the 7900gto) with your board and power supply?

Just to put the final nail in the coffin, have you tried a different video card (other than the 7900gto) with your board and power supply?

Yes a 6800gt, thanks wev, I just needed the final confirmation, time for Rma I guess, at least it's under warranty still.

That is interesting on the dead slot from the jumpers wearing out, but in my particular case I only moved them once when the top slot died, I wondered if some of the contacts in the slot could possibly stop making contact on the gfx card because of the weight of a big card like a 7900gtx isn't distributed evenly.

I did find this link that shows warranty periods for diff regions, http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Warranty_Period.jsp#, USA is 3 yrs

That is interesting on the dead slot from the jumpers wearing out, but in my particular case I only moved them once when the top slot died, I wondered if some of the contacts in the slot could possibly stop making contact on the gfx card because of the weight of a big card like a 7900gtx isn't distributed evenly.

I'm 99% sure the weight of the card is what killed my PCIe x16 slot. The x850xt weighs quite a bit with a double slot cooler and solid copper heatsink. My video card problem was intermittent at first. It would beep and the monitor wouldn't come on. After awhile I had to lift on the card gently to get the video to work, eventually that method stopped working. It will do the same to the 2x slot in time, I'm sure.

You might want to try lifting on the card gently and holding it while turning the computer on. Lift on the edge near the NF4 chipset and see if you can get the GFX card to make contact with the PCIe slot. That will tell you if you're getting a poor connection. Worked for me anyways.

Also, I pulled all of my jumpers and they appear practically new. They look the same as the spares that came with the motherboard anyway. No discernible voltage burn or wear.

I did find this link that shows warranty periods for diff regions, http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Warranty_Period.jsp#, USA is 3 yrs

Thanks, I'll take a look.

I'm having the same problem . PC worked just fine till i flue to the states. I took the video card out wile flying . now i cant see no video at all . I get the blinking lite on the mounter. same thing the test lite stop at #1 I can see the bios controlling the CPU and chip set fan but i get no video. I tried a different card and both slots no luck. anyone?

I had already read about lifting the edge, so I had already tried it, I'm going to get another NF4 MB and put a temporary together while I sort this problem out w/DFI Corp.

I have almost enough parts for a spare rig anyway and been threatening to build one but I just don't like being forced to do it because of a failure on one I'm currently using, can't say I can really fault DFI, I don't hear about this happening a lot and it's hard to say if they should/could have foreseen the amount of force being placed on the pci-e slots and designed them accordingly.

I think I will put a support under the far edge of the gfx card on whatever MB it ends up going into

I'm having the same problem . PC worked just fine till i flue to the states. I took the video card out wile flying . now i cant see no video at all . I get the blinking lite on the mounter. same thing the test lite stop at #1 I can see the bios controlling the CPU and chip set fan but i get no video. I tried a different card and both slots no luck. anyone?

Your case is different from mine in that my diagnostic leds don't stop at #1, they eventually go out and I can hear my OS booting.

Have you tried an overnite proper cmos clear,http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...16&postcount=19