Sign in to follow this  
red930

Algae: 'The ultimate in renewable energy'

I don't know about ultimate, but it sure sounds pretty good. ;)

ANTHONY, Texas (CNN) -- Texas may be best known for "Big Oil." But the oil that could some day make a dent in the country's use of fossil fuels is small. Microscopic, in fact: algae. Literally and figuratively, this is green fuel.

art.algae.jpg

Plant physiologist Glen Kertz believes algae can some day be competitive as a source for biofuel.

"Algae is the ultimate in renewable energy," Glen Kertz, president and CEO of Valcent Products, told CNN while conducting a tour of his algae greenhouse on the outskirts of El Paso.

Kertz, a plant physiologist and entrepreneur, holds about 20 patents. And he is psyched about the potential algae holds, both as an energy source and as a way to deal with global warming.

"We are a giant solar collecting system. We get the bulk of our energy from the sunshine," said Kertz.

Algae are among the fastest growing plants in the world, and about 50 percent of their weight is oil. That lipid oil can be used to make biodiesel for cars, trucks, and airplanes.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/04/01....oil/index.html

Would be pretty cool to see this develop into something. Though I'm already seeing the Whiners of the World complaining that we are exploiting living things!!! :mad:

Part of me wonders if there is too much coruption at the top end to even truly consider alternative fuels as our main fuel source.