Oldskool DDR 500 Redline Timings/setup

Hey Guys,

Im a little bit new to the overclocking and forum thing, and was woundering if any of you guys would be able to help?

Got a bit of an outdated setup as you can see by my sig, but am trying to get the most out of it as posable, i dont think i will be able to get anything new for a min.

I have got my cpu at 2.7ghz @1.41v, wont post at 2.75ghz, so I gues this is the cpu or mb limit not sure which.

But am trying to sort my ram out which is where i need the help.

Currently have it a 1:1 with cpu so is 543mhz and with these timings/setup:

Tcl:3

Trcd:3

Trp:2

Trc:8

Tras:5

Trfc:14

Trrd:2

Twr:2

Twtr:1

Trwt:2

Twcl:1

Dram output Strength: week level7

Max asynclatency 8ns

Rccd permable time: 5ns

Dynamic Idle cycle counter 16clks

DDr DQ drive strength: 50% reduction

Pdl delay Ajust: auto

Dll speed overide: auto

Also running a 1T

If anyone could sugest anything to make these tighter/more efficient i would really apriciate it.

Am using a DFI infinity sli nf4 mb btw

Thanks for reading.

Hello,

Have you ever considered not using a 1:1 ratio?

For example try to reach 300Mhz FSB (3Ghz) and this ratio, 166Mhz 5:6 (DRAM:FSB).

If you can do that, it will be far better than running it at 1:1.

ok thanks, I never thought of doing it that way round.

I will give it a go, I red somewhere that most of the newer opterons wont clock past 2.7ish area? After AMD clocked onto the fact that people were clocking the balls of them.

I definetly agree with Sharp. Try to get the highest CPU clock you are comfortable with then dial in your ram. With A64's, CPU Mhz is king, dont worry about putting your ram on a divider.

Ok, thaks for the info.

I had ago at getting my cpu clock as high as possable. managed to get to 2.8 stable, but thats at 1.45v. tried to go 2.85/2.9, posts and boots into windows but one core failed prime95 in less then a min, other ones seams to be quite happy...kinda anoying. even tried 1.5v and changing the ht settings, but thougth it safe to leave it at that, was expecting sparks to fly at any second.BSOD on anything above 2.9. Read up on this 170 LCB9E and this seams about norm...gutted.

I know this brigs up the age old question of bandwith vs tight timings, but any of you guys feel either way? I alway thougth timings were more important in AMDs?

I know this brigs up the age old question of bandwith vs tight timings, but any of you guys feel either way? I alway thougth timings were more important in AMDs?

Generally speaking you'll notice it more if you leave looser timings and increase the frequency. But that'll depend on just how much you increase it too, if I remember correctly Redlines at 2-2-2 DDR-530 or so felt much faster than 3-3-3 DDR580 (or whatever I could pull out of them...had to be thereabouts).

I'm not sure if the Infinity offers enough voltage to do 2-2-2 timings at that speed though...never used one of those boards.

I've always valued tighter timings over increased bandwidth. The secret here is to pump every last bit of stable performance out of your cpu, and then adjust your memory to frequencies and timings that play pretty with whatever your FSB might be at the time. As Sharp already pointed out, there isn't any harm in running a divider whatsoever.

I've used those Mushkin Redlines, and if you settle in with a FSB of around 275 - 280 you should be able to set your memory divider at 180 = RAM/FSB 9:10 without much trouble.

Take a peek at this thread;

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...pc4000+redlines

Well,

After attempting to look at the .jpg files in the thread I linked you to, it appears they have been removed from the server. But, I successfully ran the Redlines up to DDR540 stable in everything except 3D stress testing. To get them to pass that I had to get them down to 520 or below.

I've dug through all my old papers and even checked through my saved OCDB templates, but for the life of me can't find what my actual settings were.

If you want you can PM Tasr, he bought that kit from me and I provided him timing info. with the purchase. Maybe he kept some of that information.

Thaks guys,

Techno; yeah the vdimms only go up 3.2v, so mite be enough, but not sure if im happy with putting 3.2v into my ram...I am a poor student so if i break anything its no computer for me for a while.:sad:

From what i gather, infinitys arent too bad..they lack some of the more advanced settings in bios and voltage regulations for extreme tweeking but get the job done to a reasonable level, never had a problem with it.

wevsspot; thanks i had a look at the thread, I will giv Tasr a pm n see if he had got ne info to hand.

O yeah just noticed, in my sig that i did put its 2x1gb ram modules.

You definitely don't want 3.2vdimm on that RAM. You should be able to stay somewhere between 2.60 and 2.80vdimm

Your RAM should have the Infineon C chips and those run best between 2.6 - 2.8vdimm

Yeah, i thought as much, got mine at 2.66v, less is defintaly more with these. Ok I managed to get the cpu to 2.85ghz, some how decided it was going to be stable, not that im complaining. Gona do a proper stability test later, only tired prime 6hours, and couple of games + 3dmark. Ok, i got the ram 480mhz, with tcl 2.5 everything else the same. I know im being lazy here, but would there be that much of a difference in changing to tcl3 and going up another 50mhz or so? I cant get it to post with any tigherter timeings then that evern at ddr400. Have noticed a whole 1-2 fps on average increase in games, guess that is form the higher cpu clock.

If you can go to cl=3 + get the CPU FSB 50Mhz higher then yes :).

What happens if you change,

Rccd permable time = 6ns.

tRC = 11

tRFC = 12

And have you got the HTT ratio set to x3?