how does this look O_O

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First: On the physical side, its so much better than my old puter. with it being so small i have lotz more desk room and its easy to carry it downstairs and plug it into the TV in the livingroom. I got an extra keyboard and mouse for that, the 2nd keyboard is a small dell keyboard that works great for traveling around. The new build is also much more quiet, The fans im using are of higher quality and needs far less fans to get the job done. the DVD burner im using (samsung) is a dream compaired to the noisy liteon i did have. the thing makes no sound when reading, i have not ripped anything yet so i expect it will get louder when i do but not near as loud as the liteon.

Second: As far as performance i dont notice too much of a differance, the new build loads faster into windows and going into web pages but not that much. I dont have much loaded into the new puter yet, but i think it will truly show its colors when i start doing multi task (play a game, play music, and load a web page at the same time). the old single core AMD3700 cpu was just not up to the task for doing that, and thats the main reason i built this new one. that and the small foot print of this puter.

BTW does anyone know how to mod a PSU, I would like to remove a few unused wire leads. The amount of leads on this thing is way over kill at least for my build. :)

BTW does anyone know how to mod a PSU, I would like to remove a few unused wire leads. The amount of leads on this thing is way over kill at least for my build. :)

Some wire cutters and electrical tape :tooth:

It has some major vdroop, but there is a pin mod for it. my cooling and case wont allow me to do crazy overclocks. So i got a modest OC of 3.6 mhz 1:1 @ 4-4-4-12. If you need info about this board jump over to this site http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233021 but remember this is a small form factor system im using. not sure how the P5e atx one will do. You can find the pencel mod at that site also.

Some wire cutters and electrical tape :tooth:

lol yeah thats pretty much it.

@Kandoo, bro just start one of your movies on DVDShrink or something equivalent, put a good long playlist of tunes on and start a game of COD4 and you won't notice a thing.

I think most of us with Quads are still in the habit of doing one thing at a time and we forget that these chips just keep on grinning no matter what you do at the same time, sometimes I catch myself sitting watching a progress bar thinking I can't touch the PC for fear of forcing an error, then I remember and just have a game of something, comeback to it and its already done.

One of the best moves I ever made was the Q6600 even at 280 bucks when I bought it, it was still a steal. I still can't understand what is up with newegg's/Intel's pricing of the E6600? I mean there is right now $14 difference between the E66 and Q66 does that make any sense at all?

EDIT DOH!!! was reading two posts at the same time, thought you had the Quad, more coffee needed.

Still applys to those demon 84's though

I hear ya, given a choice between a e6600 and a q6600 its a no brainer, you gotta go for the quad anyday of the week. And yes im gonna do what you said about running a few things at the same time to test this thing out, but right now i just went into my bios and reset some settings and now im running orthos to test stability. Optimized defaults in bios sucks, so i went to a modest oc of 3.6 mhz 1:1 @ 4-4-4-12.

A thermaltake Rubyorb and im not likeing it to much. I have a hight restriction for this case. i cant have a HS that is over 75mm in hight. but i can mod the case very easy so it can fit a ninja HS :) . I think 1st im gonna fix the case's air flow first, it has 2x120mm exhaust fans (1 from power supply and 1 from rear case fan) and the only intake fan is a 80 mm one mounted in the front (Restricted intake), air flow suks right now. after i get that fixed i'll see about the temps on my HS and see if i need to upgrade to a zalman 8700 or something better. I'm just trying to get my idle temps down to around the upper 30's @ 3600mhz clock, right now its at 45c idle.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i installed a 120mm (supply) fan to the top of my SFF case and linked it with my 120mm case exhaust fan via my Scythe kaze master fan controller so they can both run at the same speed and i'm seeing a temp drop of about 4c idle, cpu was 45c now its 41c so its getting better. i'll try to post some pic's later.

I have always believed that a little more air going in that being taken out gives best results. 80mm high powered fans are pretty noisy though but I would rather have better cooling to noise any day. I love the look of those little cases, a real element of class to them. looking forward to the pics