Sign in to follow this  
sQuid

Hello Again! Need New Rig For Son

Hi All! It's been awhile since I last posted (a good while). Got caught up in other hobbies, like building a 1/4 mile drag car from a basic cheapo! Sort of like overclocking ...only different...the speed boost is more visceral! LOL. And talk about stressing over "components"... its a little more expensive than oc'ing a comp...and "mistakes" have more consequences.

Anyway, I've plugged into the Street from time to time and have managed to keep up with most major developments over the last year or so...from donating to the Intel Core 2 cause, to some changes in mods (Praz and others come to mind :)), the change in Forum name, etc. I still must say, when it comes to forums, this place just fits like a old glove, and most of you great folks are still here! I've still got the mildly oc'd rig in my sig plugging along like a treat, a testament, I think, to good components, good advice, and conservative oc.

Which brings me to my immediate need. My son's rig mobo just died and I need to build him one within the next month as he will need it for college. He has a Gigabyte 939 SLI board (had, it died), an AMD 3000+ chip, 2x512 DDR Corsair ram, 74 GB Raptor, BFG 6800 vid card, and the requisite floppy, optical drives, etc in an X-Nav case. I was going to just go with a another 939 board, but decided to "upgrade" him since he is going into engineering and I want something rock solid for the next 2-3 years. I've decided that this means we will switch over to the Intel side of the aisle. We will keep everything but the mobo, cpu and ram. After lurking here for a good two weeks, and reading, reading, reading, here's what I have decided on below. Would appreciate your insightful comments on the upgrade, but mostly the mobo/cpu, as everything else has sort of fallen into place - mobo and cpu still not purchased, but all comments welcome:

Already Purchased

PSU : Corsair 620 HX ($115 AR, buy.com) - he has the same PCP&C PSU as I do, its rock solid, but he complained about the noise, and I agreed - those things still sound like a Cessna on take off. Wasn't necessary, but he's a good kid, so...

Ram : G.Skill (PC2-8000) PQ, 2x2G, 5-5-5-15 ($ 99, newegg, 4 GB jeebus!!)

Yet To Buy

CPU : Probably the Intel Core2 Quad 6600 G0. My brother lives in Atlanta and may be able to get the Microcenter $199 deal on this chip. If so, i think it's a no-brainer for me. If can't get that chip at that price, then i may look at something different.

MOBO : Either one of two Gigabyte boards below (both have RAID) I'm leaning to the first because of several things. The first has better chipset cooling (I think), firewire, 2 PCIE slots for potential X-fire, more room around the first PCIE slot for a wireless card, an 8-pin cpu power plug instead of 4-pin, and another molex power connector near the ram (both these last two tell me more stability maybe??). The second board looks good too, just w/o the above items, and may be a better value. What do you think of the choices and what are your thoughts on the mobos?

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P rev. 2.1 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4830732

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R rev. 2.1 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4830733

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get acquainted again!

I think it is a solid looking list. Either of the GB boards are a great choice, just pick the one that has the feature set you need or want.

$199 for the Q6600 is a great buy.

RAM choice is good, but several will point you to either OCZ or Corsair since they all have basically the same IC's. OCZ or Corsair get the nods here because of their frequent and longtime support and participation at DIY-Street. Plus excellent customer service. But you sure can't beat $99 bucks for the G.Skill stuff.

Power supply is great.

Good luck on the new build, I'm sure your son will enjoy it.

Thanks wev.

I've been stressing because I'm new to the Intel cpu, chipset, DDR2 ram, etc. after coming from AMD and not really being up to date for over a year. But I'm feeling more confident now. Yea, I like OCZ and Corsair and that's the stuff I went with in the past, but just couldn't pass up the 4GB G.Skill deal. Its interesting to see Corsair in the top-line PSU game (sourcing from Seasonic). I'm prolly going to pick up a set of Corsair w tighter timings just for the heck of it if the price drops some - I expect to be playing with his build in about two years since he will probably eventually migrate to a laptop and then I get to oc the crap out of it :).

Couple questions, what kind of ram chips are on these sticks?

And the giga boards have all been revised with the (E) prefix, which I believe relates to the so-called "energy efficiency, power saving, blah, blah, blah" marketing baloney. Do you know if the new (E) power saving feature will inhibit the oc/perfomance of these boards? If I recall, this kind of stuff was a no-no with the AMD builds. I can still get the "old" giga boards w/o the (E) revision so this could change my choice.

the power saving stuff can just be turned off in the bios (at least asus can, sure GB can do it as well). so if it does actually cause any problems you can always turn it off. its funny you mention it though, i have been reading lots lately about the energy save stuff they put on MB's now and never had anyone ask that question before. i hope that means it wont influence the performance

as for the board, go with the ds3r. kranky has just bought the same. if you run into trouble anywhere there is an identical board and would make it easier to check things i guess. both will be awesome boards

about the cpu, the Q6600 is sure a good deal. the Q9350 might be sweeter, but since those are rarely on stock, let alone on such a good deal i guess you wont be able to get such a good deal on it.

as far as i know all major brands for mem use D9 micron chips for the memory. the main reason to use OCZ or Corsair around here is that there is some excellent service right on this forum. cant go wrong with that. but since you already have a good deal on ram, no worries :)

edit: also the only major diff between the 2 boards i can see is that the GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P has 2 pci-e slots (1x 16 1x4). seems kinda useless to me. if youd want CF or SLI, there are better boards, and if you dont want it its a waste of money

Thanks repr. Ya, the second PCIE16 (x4) slot is not make it or break it for me.

So does anyone know for sure if the power saving crap can be turned off in the Bios on the Giga boards? And if not, can it affect perfomance?

I didn't realize that all brands were using the Micron D9s. I would think that depended on the price/performance point. I haven't really done in depth research on the chips, but I was under the impression that some manufacturers had switched from the D9s - but what do I know. I'm compressing a project that usually takes me 3 months, to 2 weeks--agghh!

i found this thread for micron D9 chips. seems like most of the major brands use them. guess you can only get others on no-brand memory

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=6252

also, as for the power saving functions. ive just read the manual, and the power saving functions all seem to be tweakable in the bios. so shouldnt be much of a problem :)

Thanks for the good idea on the manual , repr. I'm going to hustle on over and read it. But manuals are one thing, and I value experience more - as in, does it do what the manual says it does? :) Especially when you oc.

That thread you linked may be getting outdated. I did a quick waltz thru the web and it seems that the manufacturers are moving away from Micron D9s. According to several reviews, the chips on the G.Skill PC2-8000 are "Power Chips". I could be wrong though. It would be interesting to see what OCZ and Corsair are using for similar sticks. Anyway, in the end, it really doesn't matter as long as they perform well and last w/o blowing up. Folks around here seem to think well of them, as well as the OCZ and Corsair.

I think I'm going for the DS3P because I like the layout better. We still have lots of PATA drives and I like the location of the IDE connector better. That and the Firewire, power connections, and chipset cooling.

Still looking for someone with actual experience w the (E) board revision power saving features and any good/bad effects noticed at stock and while oc'ing.

Still looking for someone with actual experience w the (E) board revision power saving features and any good/bad effects noticed at stock and while oc'ing.

Quite a few people use the power saving features on the Giga boards when OC'ng. You may have to read up on it more and leave it off while 1st setting it up and OC'ing, then after its stable go back and try it and test stability again.

Its like the Cool N Quiet on the AMD boards, which contrary to old beliefs works great for OC'ing, read the link in my sig for CnQ info while OC'ing. I now use RMclock because it is the same thing but has more features and it works great on my DFI OC'd rig

By all accounts that I've read and heard on various forums that spend anytime talking about Gigabyte boards, the E revision boards overclock just as well as the non-energy saving boards.

C1E function has worked perfectly on my both my DFI and Gigabyte socket775 boards, even heavily overclocked. I wouldn't hesitate to get an E revision board (and in fact wish I had waited a few weeks when I ordered my X38 - which isn't an energy saving version).

On my Gigabyte X38 board, C1E can reduce the processor clocks, but cannot reduce the cpu core voltage. Kind of a bummer, but I understand that the new E revision boards are capable of that, which would be a nice feature.

speede...

Cool! Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to read your linky on CnQ, especially as regards my current Nforce4 board. That is a new one on me.

wev,

LOL...you posted right before my last.

Thank you for weighing in. What you said gives me confidence...I trust your insight. That about does it, I'm not going to obsess anymore with this. It looks like I've got the makings of a rig with components that should play well together. But I really needed some assurance with all this intel stuff I've had to learn so quick. O yea, the cpu just fell into place. My brother picked up the Q6600 G0 at Microcenter ($199). It may not be the latest, top of the line, super fast, giant overclocker. But at that price, I think I have a reasonably good technology that is proven and mature, just like the P35 chipset. So, I'm gonna buy the board and get into the build. Its truly amzing to me what I am getting for my $430, absolutely amazing. I'm getting a quad core chip, solid mobo, and 4 GB ram for what I paid for my X2 just a couiple years ago !

I'll let you know if I have any probs for sure.

Thanks all for your help.

sQuid,

More than likely the G.Skill PQ RAM has Powerchip IC's. I'll try and cross reference the IC identification numbers and get back with you. Now if you were buying the G.Skill HZ model they do have Micron chips. Here is a pretty accurate list for DDR2 RAM;

http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

Sign in to follow this